Eeek - spend some to save some?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Eeek - spend some to save some?

Post by Freeranger »

Our local supermarket is closed for refurbishment so had to use the butcher - got there with about 5 mins to go, and they'd got the place emptied and cleaned down. I asked if they had any rolled pork shoulder joint - our usual, which we normally pay about £6 or £7 for. He didn't but did have a boned, rolled leg, which he brought out to show me and we agreed how much I should have. He returned with the best half, and was very charming and friendly, telling me how best to cook it etc. When he put it on the scales it came to a few pence short of £20! I'd expected a little more, but not that much, but because he'd been so nice and cut the prized joint in half, I felt obliged to buy it. When I cooked it, it was delicious, hadn't shrunk at all, while the cheap stuff is fatty and fades to nothing, and it stayed tied properly and the crackling crackled instead of boiling and going soft like the supermarket stuff does. I'd never have bought it if I realised the price up front (my fault entirely), but really enjoyed it. Not sure if I can justify that expense, but you really do get what you pay for.
wendy

Re: Eeek - spend some to save some?

Post by wendy »

)like(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
perchy

Post by perchy »

I called at a butchers on the way home from work once and thought I would treat Mr P and I to a rib eye steak yike* needless to say frugality was in demand that week, but it was delicious every £1 full of it {rofwl}
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

These days, I never buy meat from supermarkets. You get the worst cuts.
I always buy from my local butcher, whenever I can. They are a little more expensive (not much) but quality is superb.
If I buy a joint of beef, he will cut the fat off before weighing it, and then give me the beef fat for nothing, which makes beautiful dripping. Don't suppose anyone under 50 will know what I am talking about, when I mention how delicious beef dripping is on toast or just plain bread.
His ham is so tasty, 12 big slices for £4.99. Which I seperate and freeze for my sandwiches at work.
The chickens cost maybe a £1 more than the supermarket variety, but are fresh not frozen.
Would get three meals out of it, plus some lovely soup.
Has anyone noticed how the price of "shoulder of lamb" has risen. At one time, that used to be the cheapest joint. Not any more though.
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I have to admit that supermarket meat is used in this house, no butchers near us. When we were in town that had a butcher we went in and bought some calves and lambs liver , I nearly had a coronary at the price of it, it was only offal. Used to use a butcher more when I lived in Sussex.

I remember beef dripping on toast, haven`t had it for years. My dad used to make it for us when my mum was in hospital. Liked it with a bit of salt sprinkled over it.
manda

Post by manda »

We are lucky we grow our own..the only problem with that is when we have beef or lamb or pork we get a whole animal..but it is HUGELY cheaper than in the supermarkets, tastes 100% better and we know how it lived.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

We are incredibly lucky to still have a range of small shops and local butchers here, which I always do try to support over supermarket, and the butchers buy from local markets and vie with each other for quality and prizes. I've no doubt that I'm buying well looked after animals with minimal food miles (better for animals and planet). Because the joint didn't shrink, we got several servings from it and it was nowhere near as expensive by comparison as the initial shock suggested. It was much nicer too. I think I'd rather eat cheaper non-meat meals and fewer but high quality meat meals like this.
manda

Post by manda »

)like(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny