Free family history

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
p.penn

Free family history

Post by p.penn »

Just had an email to say there are free family history records on find mŷ past this weekend )c(

Happy searching!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Free family history

Post by KarenE »

oooh excellent!
I went mad at the free ancestry.com weekend a few months back but to be honest I find it really hard getting very far with most of mine - with a name like Evans and coming from liverpool, it's like searching for a needle in a haystack! :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

The offer is already 'live', so fill your boots!! I have just looked found that (probably) my uncle was in court for attempted bigamy {rofwl} The name, place and occupation is right, although it said he was 26, when he was only 25½, so maybe it wasn't him!! .ang.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I watch Who do you think you are and half of the male ancestors on there seemed to have skipped off and 'remarried' so I suspect your suspected uncle was just following the trend :-D

I'm going off to findmypast to see if I can find it - thanks for the tip p.Penn
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

KarenE wrote:oooh excellent!
I went mad at the free ancestry.com weekend a few months back but to be honest I find it really hard getting very far with most of mine - with a name like Evans and coming from liverpool, it's like searching for a needle in a haystack! :-D

As bad as researching my OH's Smith of Southwark, London :?
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)t' thanks for the tip of free searching - I have been able to trace back quite a few family names (and turned up some names that I recognised but didn't know were relatives :oops: plus some new ones) Sadly my grandfather on my mother's side did a lot of moonlighting so not much from there, but on my grandmother's side I am almost certain I've managed to find my Scottish ancestor born in 1772! On my father's side, the family didn't move around much but there were too many with the same name - as they were all located in villages close to each other, I bet they are all related (the names John and William seem to be very popular in the 1800s LOL)
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Glad it has been useful )like( I have finally solved the mysteries of my grandfathers service record )c( He was in the Royal Garrison Artillery for 2 years, then RNAS and lastly RAF. It says he was an aircraftsman. I wonder exactly what that was.

PS, only a couple of free hours left!
Helen xx

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

p.penn wrote:PS, only a couple of free hours left!

{hug} aw, it was free until midday today (Monday 10th) I'm glad because I had a bit of inspiration and managed to find some more names - have to admit it was easier to just print everything rather than decide there and then if the information was relevant or not.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

p.penn wrote: It says he was an aircraftsman. I wonder exactly what that was.

It's the lowest rank in the Airforce. Like a Private in the Army )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

LL - ancestry have some free searches until tomorrow )t'

Dom, would he have been a mechanic do you think? Also, any idea why someone (he) would be given the freedom of the city of London? It seems a pretty big thing to me, but I may be wrong.
Helen xx

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

He could have had any job at that rank so there's no reason why he shouldn't have been a mechanic.
No idea why any one is given freedon of the City >coc<
Dom
Ali Woks My World
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Wasn't there anything in the newspaper entries about the freedom of the city?

I found my great grandfather's war records, I've only seen 1 entry before but now I have the full service record and pension papers. It's really interesting. I have to dispel the family myth that he was invalided out of the army because he lost an eye - he was invalided out because he had bad eyesight, a congenital condition! Which explains where the turns in our family's eyes come from (in my mother's family too - perhaps its a side effect of Liverpool life!!)

I found it difficult to go back too far, but i do think I've made the rather sad discovery that my great grandfather was born in the workhouse. Terrible to think of conditions at those times. It seems my great great grandmother went in to have him.

I wish they would do these free weekends more often, it's fascinating!
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

For those who may have joined, done a bit of searching but not started building a family tree - my hubby got an email from findmypast offering a month's subscription for £1. Might be worth checking your emails as this seems to have been offered to selected recipients (I didn't get one!)
Karen
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I got one to the Irish Fmp for 1 euro, but you have to remember to change the stetting in 'my account' to prevent automatic renewal, otherwise next month you will pay the full subscription fee.

Great offer though!
Helen xx

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

p.penn wrote:I got one to the Irish Fmp for 1 euro, but you have to remember to change the stetting in 'my account' to prevent automatic renewal, otherwise next month you will pay the full subscription fee.

Great offer though!

)t' thanks for the tip - I got the £1 offer e-mail too so decided to subscribe for 1 month. Everything suggests it is just a one month payment but there in the "my account", I found the tick box in the automatic renewal {warn} Now unticked.

After the free weekend offer and my mad scramble at names willy-nilly, I realised that some of my notes didn't make sense or I had inadvertently wandered down someone else's family tree. I just needed to go back to confirm or dismiss potential names and I found it so frustrating that every record on whatever site demanded a subscription. So, the £1 offer is actually very good and gives me chance to do more thorough searches. One of the things I learned today soon after paying the subscription is that in one of the census records I had missed the other week, my great great grandfather was actually listed as born in Liverpool. No wonder I couldn't find any of his birth records in the local town where most of my family come from LOL I'm quite intrigued by this new find - it was rumoured that my surname ancestors originally came from Stirling in Scotland but I need to work my way back wards along the generations. The Liverpool connection is totally unexpected.