whats the best veg?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
juilly
Lively Laner

whats the best veg?

Post by juilly »

Advice from all you experts…

Come spring(isn) time I'm planing on starting a little veggie garden. Only problem is the only area of the garden I really fancied digging up is mostly in shade. How many normal veggies will flourish in mostly shade or do I have to think seriously about digging up a different area?

Bring on the good life!!! :-D
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: whats the best veg?

Post by jackian »

I think most things will grow in the shade. In fact sometimes too much sun is not good. Water and soil that has plenty of nourishment is more important.
If you have root vegetables like beetroot and carrots they grow under ground apart from the leaves. Spinach and chard will grow any where I think .
Peas and beans should do well. Lettuces and courgettes also.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

My raspberries are doing very well in shade but be warned as they may take over the whole plot!

My pumpkin also did quite well in shade this year although it's taking it's time to ripen.

definitely not sweetcorn, they need a lot of sun to ripen I've found. Lettuce should do well, I think beetroot too, and potatoes as well I think
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

When I had a tiny area I concentrated on things that either didn't take a huge amount of space but also things that are expensive or not easy to find. Also things that grow high, like climbing French and runner beans, but only a few plants, because they taste so much better picked and cooked in minutes. Leafy things like salad, chard and spinach are cut and come again and fast growing so not huge amounts of space needed, and they are OK in shade, less likely to bolt. if you want tomatoes or a few new spuds I would put them in tubs in a sunnier space if you have one, but main crop potatoes are a waste of space when it's limited. Most roots are a long term thing so will tie up space.

My must haves were beans, cut and come again mixed salad, chard, land cress, Tuscan Kale (only need a few plants, grows all year like chard) beetroot and in winter psb and leeks. Chives and parsley too. And toms, courgettes, cues, carrots (baby), potatoes and garlic in pots. Also used to put beans, chard and garlic in with the flowers.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Jon
Learner Laner

Post by Jon »

My advice would be make the plot as big as you can. Slaving away for 8 carrots, six onions and 3 beetroot or something, is a waste of time and effort. Trust me, I learnt the hard way. Better off growing some raspberries on the space. Peas are easy too.
We did two decent rows of potatoes this year and we are still eating them. Definitely worth it. No work required. Salad also very easy.
Grow a decent amount of a few easy things on the space you have, not 5 of everything you fancy...
Sun ripens things, if the plot gets no sun at all (all day) then grow root veg.
Keep warm - burn wood...no central heating here!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Make a list of the veggies you and your family enjoy eating ,don't put the effort into growing things you will only give to friends and neighbours. Once you have your list look either in a garden book or on line for growing conditions, most things like a little sun to grow there best easier to get some shade on a bed than get the sun . I have several small raised beds 6ftx3ft in them i grow carrots just fill one whole bed,red beet in another ,salad leaves in another and leave the bigger beds for my other veggie potatoes ,leeks ect.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Can I also suggest that you look at some vertical gardening techniques that you'll find on the Lane? I'ts a good way of increasing the size of a plot when you can't change its footprint, and you could have a variety of leafy herby things or even small root ones like radishes, beetroot and carrot, as well as whatever you chose for the main space.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good advice.

If you want something really easy to grow, assuming you like it, try Perpetual Spinach - it grows faster than a weed, you just keep snipping bits off and it re-grows in days !!

It's a good time to start preparing the soil now though.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I always do well with runner beans, not much ground space needed but you need to secure the plants to tall canes to minimize the effects of strong winds. Courgettes need a lot of room so not really suitable for a small space, unless you have just one plant. As already said, only grow what you like to eat.
Ilona
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Meanqueen wrote:I always do well with runner beans, not much ground space needed but you need to secure the plants to tall canes to minimize the effects of strong winds. Courgettes need a lot of room so not really suitable for a small space, unless you have just one plant. As already said, only grow what you like to eat.
Ilona

Runner beans are excellent croppers but do need lots of rotted manure in the ground as hungry plants ,yes Courgettes are very good nice done on the BBQ .Grow in pots big ones from the pound shop ,good compost and feed as you would Tomatoes.

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Before this post runs away with which best veg to grow, perhaps a gentle reminder that the original post said

juilly wrote:Only problem is the only area of the garden I really fancied digging up is mostly in shade. How many normal veggies will flourish in mostly shade

My answer would be none {hug} , unless you consider:

Freeranger wrote:Can I also suggest that you look at some vertical gardening techniques that you'll find on the Lane? I'ts a good way of increasing the size of a plot when you can't change its footprint, and you could have a variety of leafy herby things or even small root ones like radishes, beetroot and carrot, as well as whatever you chose for the main space.

Hopefully, plants will be raised enough to get some sunshine. Not many plants grow in total shade, but some can do well in partial. Lettuces might do well, and a few other salad leaves such as rocket (and mint - but don't grow that direct into the soil otherwise it will quickly spread as a weed!)

A lot of the crops so far being suggested are going to struggle IMO - throw in a bad year (too cold or dull or wet) .... Squashes, courgettes, runners need warmth and sunshine to do well. Raspberries however, are forest type fruits so should do well in partial shade as will blackberries (you can buy thornless) and other similar hybrid berries (Tayberries, Loganberries) Even blueberries can do well in partial shade (but beware the birds will eat the fruits)
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

lancashire lass wrote:Before this post runs away with which best veg to grow, perhaps a gentle reminder that the original post said

juilly wrote:Only problem is the only area of the garden I really fancied digging up is mostly in shade. How many normal veggies will flourish in mostly shade

My answer would be none {hug} , unless you consider:

Freeranger wrote:Can I also suggest that you look at some vertical gardening techniques that you'll find on the Lane? I'ts a good way of increasing the size of a plot when you can't change its footprint, and you could have a variety of leafy herby things or even small root ones like radishes, beetroot and carrot, as well as whatever you chose for the main space.

A lot of the crops so far being suggested are going to struggle IMO - throw in a bad year (too cold or dull or wet) .... Squashes, courgettes, runners need warmth and sunshine to do well.

Right about the runners do need warmth and lots of sunshine, but courgettes in pots can be moved to a sunny bit of garden or a patio . )like(

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Hi
My veg patch only gets a couple of hours sun and I grow loads of veg. I pretty much agree with what has been said above except for squash and courgettes. I've had the odd crookneck squash but certainly not enough to justify the space. Potatoes, cabbage family, chard, parsnips and runner beans have all done well this year. My main star has been achocha fat babies. They grew high (up a child's climbing frame) and would still be fruiting now if I hadn't moved the frame last week. I use lots and lots of stable manure too.
Traditionally if its shady you are told to grow soft fruit. My gooseberries (mostly invicta) have done well too.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I always wondered why soft fruit did well here because I thought they needed sun and warmth for ripening. I feel a bit stupid now.