The Awesome Foursome!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Katiki
Lively Laner

Re: The Awesome Foursome!

Post by Katiki »

Well I've totally neglected this diary. Excuses well I've been busy setting up a new service at work and training for it. Believe me though my girls haven't gone without!

In January we had a change of circumstance which resulted in us loaning my daughters pony. She had well out grown him but we couldn't bear to sell him and we can easily ktake him back if unhappy with his care. We aren't! He is having fun with a lovely new lady.

Our horse is now recovered from his juggling a 5 bar gate on his leg last October and getting back to full fitness and competing.

Yeah busy like I said!

I moved my run onto hard standing over winter for ease of cleaning and to protect the lawn somewhat. Girls still got to free range once my daughters home from school although it was short periods in the depths of winter.

Belle is a menace... I love her but she is through my back door in an instant and nicking cat chinchilla and human food like I don't feed her!

Fawkes is my magpie. Anything slightly bright... Even my wellys get her pecking lol.

May is skittish and shy. Until the mealworms come out!

Hedwig is just Hedwig colourful cheerful last to the treats but gets her share and most definitely my favourite. But then we all chose one on buying day and I chose her so i'm biased.
[center][/center]Belle aka bellatrix, Fawkes, May and HedwigRIP

[center]One horse, one cat and two chinchillas.[/center]

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Glad to hear the gang are all okay )t' Piccies and pony please
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

Goodnight sweet girls.

So so sad to lose you.

It's going to be very quiet {cry}

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bless you and bless your little girls. If you want, the Henpals Rainbow Bridge book is a great place to post a memoriam to your girls.

It's a sad and salutary reminder for all of us to keep an eye out especially at this time of year, as the nights draw in.

Such very sad news. {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I am so, so sorry {hug}
Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

Today has been utterly horrid. My wonderful husband dealt with the remains of my girls as I simply couldn't. I was actually called into work first thing so wasn't even present. A small blessing.

Yesterday after work it was too dark to clear up. This morning after the removal of my girls I cleaned the coop. The feeder. The water container. And put them all away. Not sure I can cope with the stress of worrying over their wellbeing again. It's been so so so quiet today. No belle tapping on the patio doors for mealworms no egg chorus. No chooks. So devastated

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

How awful for you, I'm so sorry {cry} you must miss them terribly.
Perhaps when some time has passed you may be able to think again about
creating a more reinforced pen (maybe with a roof) and starting again.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I really feel for you. I can only imagine how upsetting it must be to come home and find that and then have to deal with the aftermath. Thank goodness your husband was there to deal with things for you.

As Kitla said - its probably the last thing on your mind right now I'm sure, but in a while you may be able to remember the wonderful things the girls gave you and want to think about getting some more. As hard a lesson as it has been, at least you know where your run needs to be reinforced. And definitely get a roof if it didn't have one before.

If you do decide to get some more girls, post and we'll all help you strengthen your run.

So sorry, what an awful weekend you're having {hug}
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

So sorry to hear about the loss of your much loved girls Katiki and in such a devastating way sending your whole family many {hug} {hug} .
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I cant believe how I would react to what you have had to . I can only send you my love and a big hug {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

It's oh so quiet

I'm down to 5 eggs

I'm guilty I called belle a bird brain coz she almost tripped me on Friday morning.

I was rushing

Didn't take the time to enjoy her or the others. Big day at work...

All seems so irrelevant

I'm hurting. Wish I could go back and secure the corner mr fox came through. He didn't pole vault I can see the plank that was loose... Hindsight is wonderful but painful

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Now stop that. You gave your girls a wonderful and loving home - there are many chickens who don't get the chance to trip their owners up, and they just love doing that as we all know.

Hindsight is just learning for the next time. Fix the plank, check the rest and go get some more girls. There are girls out there just waiting for a chance to nearly trip you up.

You will never forget the awesome foursome but you can welcome some new girls into your life, and it will hurt just a little less when you have four new faces tapping on your window. {hug}
Karen
Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

Thank you Karen.

Not yet. I simply can't. There are still stray feathers. I'm not sure I could consider putting new girls in my garden when a fox knows there is a food supply. It's almost as if I'm signing them away.

Mr Kat is very keen to get more but he just saw them as the chooks not a proper pet. And I suppose they aren't really a pet but they do hold a special place in the family. Hard to believe the difference in my daily routine without them. Hadn't realised how much time I gave. Freely gave I hasten to add.

The coop is in storage. I'm down to my last few eggs. Any reference to birds is hard. Still can't believe I lost them. Purely complacency on our part we were confident after 18 months they were safe. Nope. Please all go check your boundaries cos this proper sucks

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I really feel for you, although I can only imagine what you're going through. Touch wood. My girls free range all day and they love it, but I often wonder if it's a recipe for disaster. But then I think if a fox did get into the garden, at least they would have space to (hopefully) get away - its a risk i run and one day I may really, really regret it.

I understand it feels too soon and too raw. And it's a good point about the fox. But please don't feel guilty. That's what the fox does and they are very good at it. Easy for me to say of course - we all feel guilty when something happens to our girls, wondering whether we could have done this or that.

And of course they're your pet! Mine certainly are, there's a reason why my cat is insanely jealous of them ;)

Take your time and try and remember all the fun they gave you. {hug}

Take care
Karen
Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

None of mine were in the run when found. I don't think having space to get away really helps. Bodies found over 2 hundred feet apart.

Please be vigilant.

My lovely dad in his 70's came today with his boots and gloves and completed the clean up operation I'd not been able to finish. Dad's are lovely even when you're 40 lol.

It remains quiet. Opening the curtains makes me sad each morning. I do think we may get more one day. Probably not until spring next year at the earliest. Security will be intensely improved prior to this. I'm gonna buy eggs from a local riding school for the winter. If Jane has any to spare. Can't imagine eating a so called free range supermarket egg ever again!

Good luck to all of you and your girls for the upcoming harsh weather x