Pixie's Chix!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Re: Pixie's Chix!

Post by PixieDust »

Here are some pics:

Very worried about this lady. She keeps looking like she's falling asleep. She seems to eat more grit and shakes her head sometimes. She also stretches her neck and seems to gape occasionally, like she can't quite swallow food. Also this morning she was eating her grit and I saw clear mucus come out of her beak. I think she has an infection but the local chicken vet wants £50 for the consult before the antibiotic!

The guy I got her from has said he thinks it's stress. See how she settles but if she doesn't show improvement he will exchange her. Here is a not very good picture of her with her eye half closed:

4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014

manda

Post by manda »

)like(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

PD they are lovely )like( Concerning your grit eating girl , give her crop a good massage seems like it may be a bit blocked up. A good ten minutes should do it, if nothing improves let us know on here. Cannot belief your vet wants £50 before even seeing the hen, can you google hen friendly vets near you for future use? I have just spent £53.30 but that was for two lots of meds too and the consultation. Good girl you have the good wire, just wish I had been advised to get it before I covered a 50 by 60 foot run in chicken wire }hairout{
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

What a lovely group, that blue girl eyeing us through the wire looks as though she's going to be a bit of a character!

I do hope your poorly girl picks up soon and it doesn't come to anything serious. My vet suggested that breathing steam could be helpful for clearing mucous, like putting your head over a bowl of boiling water except that the chicken would be in a pet carrier and the blanket goes over the lot. You could add some herbs to the water too, I jotted down basil, dill, oregano, rosemary and thyme for respiratory support when I was worrying about my girls. You can sprinkle some on their food too.
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thank you both Sandy and Annie for your advice.

Sandy, unfortunately that IS the local poultry vet. They charge a premium because they call them "exotic pets", which my OH laughed at. They also charge a premium because of our location which is terrible.

The Bluebell is a character. She comes and supervises me every morning when I clean them out. I thought on the first morning "what have I let myself in for?" I had put newspaper down with some Aubiose and a little water and food over night for the first night only. It absolutely stank the next morning and the water had spilled everywhere. However, a thicker layer of Aubiose is used and just poo pick and replace Aubiose and wet wipe any misaimed poop and the perches. Very quick and their coop is pretty fresh come morning.

Don't get me started on the weld mesh. Oh the arguments we had over the run. He couldn't believe people had roofs on them. I told him it was to help combat bird flu and low and behold Monday and there is bird flu. He told me it was quite ironic really. }hairout{
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I admire your ingenuity!

Your girls are beautiful and yes, your Bluebell looks like she might be a real character.

i hope your little sick girl will be okay. Keep a close eye on her and if it looks like she's being bullied a lot squirt the culprits with a water pistol. If she's feeling under the weather the others may pick on her.

make sure she can get to food and water okay & the others aren't stopping her

it may be the stress of moving and adapting to a new environment. If she gets worse or shows any other signs like coughing or sneezing or swelling round the face, or bubbly eyes then you will need the vet as she could have a respiratory infection (not bird flu though!). Fingers crossed she's just feeling overwhelmed.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Meant to say, manda posted recently about other treatments for if you couldn't get to a vet. I remember olbas oil for breathing? I think she posted in the chicken health section
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

PixieDust wrote:Sandy, unfortunately that IS the local poultry vet. They charge a premium because they call them "exotic pets", which my OH laughed at. They also charge a premium because of our location which is terrible.

Is that a quote to come out to you, or for you to take the hen to him?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thank you I shall look for that Karen.

No just the standard fee before meds for me to take to him, Mo.
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Your girls are beautiful Pixie, I do hope they all settle in OK and the slightly poorly lady gets over her congestion. You have been given loads of excellent advice so fingers crossed all will be well. I can't believe the price of your vet. Aren't there any others, maybe one used by the farming community, that won't consider chickens exotic?
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Well, they are still going! Sick Pob is still the same. As she is a hybrid several people have told me she is suffering as the stress and she is run down from the live vaccine. She has symptoms like Mycoplasma. I am also giving her Nutridrops. They are being wormed with Marriage ' s Flubenvet pellets and have apple cider vinegar in the water.

They have no names yet but I am referring to them as The Pobs as they "pob pob pob" at me when I go to see or clean them.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

When you say she has the symptoms like mycoplasma, what are you seeing? Is she breathing heavily, crackling or rasping, has a runny nose and bubbles in the corner of her eyes, swollen face?

If you think it maybe myco, the stress of moving may have brought it out but I think you may need to swallow the cost and get her to the vets. If it is myco, that can go through the whole flock and tylan in the water can usually sort it

Post on the sick chickens forum, see if Manda recommends any other treatments for myco if the vets and antibiotics aren't an option.
Karen
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

She has runny nose and did have a bubbly eye which seemed better today. She is eating and drinking well. She has a little sleepy time in the afternoon but picks up again. She is quite lively and races over to me when I go in the Walk-in-Run. If she gets worse I will have to visit the vet but hopefully she will have improved by the end of the worming.
manda

Post by manda »

If antibiotics aren't an option for you you could try garlic....
Strip a bulb of garlic into cloves and put them in the blender, add in 1,1/2L of water and blend. Pour this mash into a plastic bottle and leave to soak for a day.. shake the brew and add about 1-200mls per 5L of fresh water.
You could forget that and mash up a load of garlic (no salt) and mix it in with a wet mash so they get it as the raw product (which can be better in some ways as it's more potent).

Treat them for a week with this. It is great for all sorts of ails is Garlic (good if made into an ointment too, although I'd use Manuka honey over garlic for wounds).

You could also give them green tea as an option to drink (its great for boosting their immune system).

You could go down the homeopathic route ..there are all sorts of chinese herbal treatments that have been found to destroy the myco cells.
http://www.naturalnews.com/041041_herbs ... sease.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thank you Manda. I was reading a post you made about garlic and was thinking this was a good option. How would this work as I am giving them the Flubenvet pellets til Wednesday?