fly past.

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
animartco
Lively Laner

fly past.

Post by animartco »

Last night was wonderful. I saw something I have never seen before. The local Canada geese have been flying backwards and forwards for a while now. They get restless at this time of year because if they were at home in Canada they would be migrating.
But last night was something else!
I heard geese approaching but they sounded different, and when they came over they were far higher than the local Canadas ever fly. They were at buzzard height, must be around or over a thousand feet. And there were about a hundred of them in a loose and ever changing formation characterised by a bow shaped leading edge, which must have been nearly a quarter of a mile in length. I thought that was it, but then I heard them again, and another even larger skein came over. And then another and another until the sunset sky in the distance was covered in these strange looking moving strings. I wish I knew what they were. I think they were smaller than the Canadas, possibly pink foot or brent. These were real wild geese on migration, and I have never seen so many before.
A wonderful sight.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: fly past.

Post by kitla »

how wonderful to have witnessed something like that! What part of the country
are you in?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

The geese are beginning to fly here, wonderful sights, and very vocal.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I hear them going over, rarely see them though, by the time I get out the garden they are gone :(

I get the pleasure of hearing some domestic geese too, they live about a mile away but the sound carries sometimes :)
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

kitla wrote:how wonderful to have witnessed something like that! What part of the country
are you in?

Hi Kitla I live near Canterbury Kent. You wouldn't think the crowded South East would be up on wildlife would you? Well, I don't often see a migration. We used to have redwing and field fares long ago, and of course lapwing, but they're all gone now. That is why those geese were a real ray of hope.