SLOW COOKING..

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
manda

SLOW COOKING..

Post by manda »

We're in summer now but I thought as you're in winter it might be a good time to talk about slow cooking. I like making stews and the occasionally self saucing pudding but I recently joined a group that talks about all things slow cooking ....I have to say I've been amazed at what they make in them..

So I thought it would be interesting to share recipes and ideas re all things slow cooker

So maybe something for Christmas treats....

AFTER DINNER MINT AND TURKISH DELIGHT FUDGE
2 x 220grm blocks of chocolate
1 tbs butter
1 can condensed milk
150grms of chopped After Dinner Mints
150grms of chopped Turkish Delight
Place all ingredients into slow cooker
put cooker on High - lid off
Melt chocolate, butter, and condensed milk til it is smooth
Stir every 15mins or so for 1/2 to 1 hour
Allow fudge to cool a bit then add the chopped after dinner mints
and turkish delights
Pour into lined tin and pop into freezer for 2+ hours and then cut into pieces.

PAVLOVA
6 egg whites
1 1/4 cups (230g) caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla extract
Method:

Step 1. Gather all ingredients. Line a 6 litre slow cooker with baking paper and set to high.

Step 2. Using a mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff and glossy. Then add the caster sugar a little at a time, with the mixer running, until all caster sugar is incorporated. Add the cornflour and vanilla extract and beat until just mixed in.

Step 3. Pour mixture into lined slow cooker and smooth over the top with a metal spoon. Place a clean tea towel over the top of slow cooker and place the lid on top of the tea towel (this absorbs any condensation while still allowing the pavlova to set). Cook for 2 hours (might be less depending on slow cooker) on high setting and turn slow cooker off and leave until entirely cooled.

Step 4. Remove by lifting pavlova from the slow cooker carefully using the baking paper. Top with fresh cream and decorate with fruit.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: SLOW COOKING..

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks for the recipes, Manda. How adventurous. I have recently done a joint in my slow cooker, and finished it off in the oven, but the recipe book and cooker are nearly thirty years old, and all recipes are very basic.
manda

Post by manda »

This is a nice way to do Chicken and frees your ovenup for other things :-D

Slow Cooked Whole Chicken
Ingredients

2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 onion
1 large chicken (3-5 lbs)
Directions

Combine spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
Loosely chop onion and place in slow cooker.
Rinse chicken and pat dry, ensuring giblet bag is removed.
Rub spices all over the chicken, making sure to put some spice under the skin and inside the cavity.
Place chicken, breast side down, on top of the onions in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high 4 to 5 hours.
Carefully remove chicken to a platter, using tongs, a fork, and your hands if necessary.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have copied the chicken recipe out Manda, and will try it next time we buy a whole one. Normally we buy frozen, do I assume after de-frosting that it would be safe to cook in the same way?
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I love my slow cooker Manda, it sat in the cupboard for a few years with me to frightened to use it but after joining the forum and seeing some topics about it I bit the bullet and tried it out. I have to admit to not having cooked a joint or chicken in it but do lots of main meals, stews etc. I belong to a forum as well but find that they use packet stuff to make cakes and bread and I don`t really understand that. I did do a `fakeaway' donna kebab meat in it and it tasted just the same as the ones in a kebab shop. I knew what I had put in it though. Am toying with the idea of getting another slow cooker as it saves so much hassle and I just adapt ordinary recipes most of time.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Hi Manda,

We are told not to wash chicken meat due t o the very high rate of them being infected with the campalabacter virus (?sp) our major supermarkets are the worst offenders! Needles to say I have roast chicken for lunch today, normally my local supermarket is nearly sold out on the Saturday but not this week.

Maggie
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thanks for the chicken recipe manda, I wasnt sure how to go about putting a whole chicken in mine, Ill give it a go )t'

I do Beef Bourgignon in mine.. No exact science, or quantities... {rofwl}

I litteraly throw in shallots or a chopped onion, a couple of carotts, some bacon bits, cubes of beef (you can also add mushrooms) and an oxo cube.... add 3/4 ish of a bottle of red, and a bit of water and pop it on medium. I usually pop it on for at least 12 hours as i find the beef quite tough here, sometimes longer , but i find the longer i cook it, the tastier it is.
Towards the end i add a small spoon of gravy granuals and ajust the seasoning.

Quite often, i dont really use recipes, i chuck in whatever is about and add water and some stock and see what happens... i havent been very adventurous {rofwl}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
perchy

Post by perchy »

I have started to use mine too after cleaning out the cupboards and pantry and finding it again, bolognaises, chilli's, stews etc I havn't tried any sweet things but will have a go now )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Must say that I wish I had got one that has a bowl you can use to brown meat first as it may get more use. I only use mine occasionally in the summer.

Fudge? You can make fudge in it? And pavlova? Well, I never would have guessed {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

Spreckly wrote:I have copied the chicken recipe out Manda, and will try it next time we buy a whole one. Normally we buy frozen, do I assume after de-frosting that it would be safe to cook in the same way?

Absolutely :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

manda

Post by manda »

p.penn wrote:Fudge? You can make fudge in it? And pavlova? Well, I never would have guessed {rofwl}

Oh yes )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

If I find reduced price milk I make yogurt in my slow cooker. It's lovely and none of the additives. )t'
Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

I use raw milk to make my yoghurt Ilona but we get all our milk cheap here because our friends have a dairy farm :-D

I was reading about making it in a slow cooker but I've not done it yet ..not going to be long though and I will :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Google it Manda, lots of videos on yoootooob. :-D
Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

Cheers for that ...just been looking )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda