Pixie's Chix!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Pixie's Chix!

Post by KarenE »

The weather might not be helping either. It's cold and damp where I am, if it's the same where you are she may be hunching up for warmth too.

It's good that she's energetic even if in spurts, and her swelling seems to be going down. Just keep on as you are - she's showing she still has enjoyment from her life (well, food anyway - just like all chickens!) and that's so worth keeping on for!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Just gave them their scratch. Sick Pob got onto my arm to feed from the pot but then the Columbine nipped my finger for not sharing! It has been freezing all day today. Frost never really melted. However, I hear we are back to bloomin' rain overnight.

OH was chopping wood today. He found a few worms and popped them in the run and she was away with all of them. Bit of extra protein.

Will just see how they are I guess. It's a rubbish time of year to have anything respitory.
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Tylan and TLC are two of the best cures for snotty noses. Really cold here too which of course dosent bother the girls at all does it
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Today was day 7 of Tylan in the water. Still have some left but don't know what to do. Should I continue til the little pot is gone? Maybe 3-4 days? There is some sneezing from the others, mostly the Bluebell and the Sussex. The Sussex had to stop eating some scratch today, balancing a bit of corn in her beak as she sneezed twice!

She seems rather shy of a couple of the others sometimes. She watches them when they eat and stuff, but she is not seemingly being bullied. She still has hunching but not seen her sleeping as she was, (was sleeping with head under wing in day time).

She preens, pecks sand, goes loopy for meal worms, scratch and now all go loopy for carrot greens. Going to try them on some grapes tomorrow.

She now jumps up on the coop when I am cleaning the pull out tray and the perches in readiness for meal worms.

I *think* she is starting to go a little red on the face.

I have a terrible fear that the minute she stops the Tylan, she will get worse. She IS showing some improvement.

This is a video I did of her a couple of days ago. She wanted me to come in so she could sit on my arm:

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/GothVam ... sort=3&o=0"
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , no expert but I have seen miracles happen and near dead chicken come back to life and is the pretiest girls ever ( well maybe Lilly is going to knock her off her perch . Tylan does miracles keep her on it till a good couple of days after she has improved to make sure.
Best wishes for a good out come .
Bob
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

No real change. Goes mad for meal worms and mixed corn. Not eating huge amounts of pellets. Saw the Sussex pecking at her ear today, so I hope that doesn't become and issue. She is going a little red in the face and wattles. Still will sit hunched when I leave the run. Eats carrot greens.

She seems to hang back from eating and drinking til the others have finished and the Sussex and Columbine start eating when she does and she will often walk away.

She has lots of new feathers coming underneath. There is no sign of blood or damage.

All are still sneezing.

At a loss now. :?
chickgirl
Learner Laner

Post by chickgirl »

Hi Pixie

Just want to pass on my good wishes and {hug}

These chicks are so lucky to have you to care for them, you are doing so much for them.

I can feel the love from here ha-ha.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Pixie, how are the Pobs today? And your sick little lady?

And do any of them have proper names yet? :-D
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Hi Karen.

Well she still does hunched and was sneezing out some clear mucus today. She will still fly to my arm for meal worms and scratch. She seems slow around the others except for when I offer meal worms or scratch, and isn't eating a huge amount of pellets.

The others still sneeze but less so. Have read that ACV with mother will help to break down the mucus - can anyone confirm this?

She is pretty alert. Very interested when I am cleaning out the house and is constantly chattering.

I know Myco or IB are viruses, but I have no idea how long it would likely go on for. Have read so many different things, some sites say the symptoms should clear with Tylan in 3-5 days, some say longer, some say can be 6 weeks, and some say if no joy with Tylan, give Denagard. Although she doesn't have gunky eyes she does have her lower eye lids still swollen and the length of time this is going on there is an outside chance of Corzya.

I am not sure if she is drinking that much. Tylan smells awful when I mix it.

Am stumped. She is to stay on the dose til it runs out then tell the vet what is occurring.

As for names; well the Bluebell was always going to be called Pixie, the Columbine is called Winter as she looks like a pheasant which are hunted in the winter and her name is shortened to Winny, the Light Sussex is a bit of a bully. She has a peck or kicks other birds in her way so she will be called Lillith after the vampire legend, shortened to Lily.

Sick Pob gets called Pob and Miss and other names but I was going to called her either Autumn due to her colouring, or Orchid.

So want her to pull through but I don't know if she will. She is showing some signs of perking up. I just feel she is so bunged up its making her feel rubbish. She is smaller now than the others. Comb and wattles almost non-existent.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Pixie

They're lovely names and Autumn would be a lovely name for your beautiful sick Pob.

Yes, ACV with the mother in it, and also have you tried a clove of garlic mushed up in her water too?

Is she getting the right dose of the tylan ie is she drinking enough of it? You could always try adding a bit of sugar as well, might help to keep her strength up a bit. I don't think tylan clears up a heavy case like Autumn's (hee hee! See what i did there??) quite as fast as 3-5 days, tylan can take up to 10 days.

Could you take her back to the vets now? She's been on the tylan for a while hasn't she? She may well need something a little stronger.
Karen
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

She took a down turn in the cold last night. She is in the drum room in the dog carrier. I gave her 2 pipettes of Nutridrops but I don't hold out much hope. I jinxed her by mentioning a name.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

She is wheezing too. Put in some water and mealworms but she hasn't touched anything.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

If she's still with us tomorrow (sorry to sound harsh) get her straight to the vets. She may need an injection of tylan or some stronger medication. I wonder if there is a deeper infection? Vets ASAP tomorrow I think

Good luck {hug}
Karen
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Yep. OH will leave me some money for either meds or that final injection. She is very light and small compared to the others. Could kick myself for not getting her to the vet sooner. She was jumping on my arm yesterday.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Well 2 weeks on Tylan and she is wheezing badly, sneezing badly and now very milky watery poops. She is at least standing up now. However I still don't have much hope. Obviously they have something Tylan won't touch. She's also had 2 Tylan injections. Just scared the others will slowly go down with it too. Whatever this is, it has been with her for at least 4 weeks.

Dunno what else to say.