Is it true that

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Is it true that

Post by bmpsands »

I can leave the Brussels sprouts in the garden to use as and when I need them? I ask because we seem to have so many that I can't see us using them up any time soon. If I can leave them on the plant it will be better/easier than having to pick clean, blanche and freeze them.

Expert opinions, please, as this is our first full year as veggie growers.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Is it true that

Post by Mo »

Sprouts taste better after a bit of frost, and can stand for a long time.
The only problem comes with a long hard spell when the freeze solid, and then go brown and mushy when they defrost. Hence the price rises after long snowy spells.

Well done for growing lots. Now-a-days I end up buying a stem and 'picking' them from the porch.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Not much to add to Mo's post except ... do make sure the plants are tied to stakes to prevent them rocking in the wind (winter wind tends to be very gusty and with damp soil, roots are easily dislodged) as this can encourage the sprouts to "blow" (as in open up into loose leafy sprouts) And beware the enemy of the air - pigeons are more destructive during winter as available food resources dwindle, so make sure the plants are protected with netting (including that small gap at floor level where they simply walk into the cage)

By end of January, you might want to start looking at getting the rest harvested and dealt with - apart from looking tired, an unexpected mild spell (can happen) can start to move things on and the flavour and texture of the sprouts will start to change.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If it did turn really cold LL, do you think it would be worth throwing them in the freezer as they are, to save them defrosting? Just chopping them off the stem and freezing them on a tray, then bagging up. And peel them when needed.

I know they say blanche, but how necessary is it? (once they freeze outside you wouldn't want them to thaw while you blanched)
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks for the responses so far. I look forward to seeing the result of the freezing debate. I have a friend who grows lots of stuff on her allotment. She freezes all types of things without blanching. I've never dared but if Laners do it, it must be right.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, if you don't trust your friend why would you trust people you hadn't seen????

There are all sorts of opinions discussed here.

Take with a pinch of salt or do your own tests. As long as you make sure you cook them afterwards any germs should die, so it will just be about flavour and texture. (IMO, but what do I know). I blanche my peas and beans, flat freeze soft fruit, cook tree fruit and de-stone.
I know there used to be worries about botulism growing in bottled veg.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:If it did turn really cold LL, do you think it would be worth throwing them in the freezer as they are, to save them defrosting? Just chopping them off the stem and freezing them on a tray, then bagging up. And peel them when needed.

I know they say blanche, but how necessary is it? (once they freeze outside you wouldn't want them to thaw while you blanched)

The reason a lot of veg are blanched is to protect the flavours - enzymes that convert sugars to starch are still working even in cold temperatures (I haven't figured that one out - maybe domestic freezers are simply not cold enough to completely stop cellular metabolism?) If the food is only being stored in the freezer a short time (a week or two for example), then it shouldn't make too much difference, but it is stuff that is being stored for a long time (as in months)

I'm probably not the right person to be asking as I don't really eat that many brussels LOL
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting.

My garden doesn't take to Brussel Sprouts (or Broccoli), I buy the them on the stalk from the local Farm Shop, never before a few frosty mornings though, brings the flavour out.

They certainly keep well if you leave them outside, somewhere dry though.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Right, thanks everyone. I think I have a plan now.

Mo - although I've never met anyone on the forum (apart from Spreckly) I know that the wisdom of crowds (particularly crowds with experience) is worth listening to.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

So what is the plan?

I know - you could strap a stalk or two onto one of your hens and send her flying in my direction.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Only just seen this, Mo. I haven't been ignoring you.

I might as well use the hens as carrier pigeons, given that they've more or less stopped laying eggs.