Rondeel system - good news for battery hens?!

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
kitla
Legendary Laner

Rondeel system - good news for battery hens?!

Post by kitla »

Compassion in World Farming have praised this new innovation in commercial
egg farming. Looks potentially wonderful to me (compared to the alternative)
see what you think
http://www.rondeel.org/uk/the-system/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Rondeel system - good news for battery hens?!

Post by silverback »

A very interesting system, looks almost ideal when it comes to commercial egg production,
)like(
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
manda

Post by manda »

Who knows...the issue will come with how many hens they put into the system.. Onthe face of it as far as commercial chicken keeping goes it appears ideal...but if they shove so many hens in there that the environment loses it's benefits then that would be incredibly sad.
I know they have to make a profit but the retailers have to be realistic and stop trying to give customers something for nothing - that is why battery cages exist to keep the costs low....customers have got to realise / accept that if you want to have something produced in an ethical way it is going to have a cost attached.

Maybe if people had to pay for their food in a way that reflected the care that is ethically required there wouldn't be so much waste in the world....the trouble is when you can buy something cheaply there is no importance attached to it which when lives are involved makes me so sad......we can only hope that something like this will be an option that people would go with for the future...although why free range couldn't just be the standard ...ah well one day we can hope.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I agree its not ideal, but against the alternative of cages its a big improvement.
As far as I can see its designed with the hen's welfare in mind. There was a trial
done with it a year or so ago where they surveyed the amount of pecking going on
in different areas & the condition of the hens at the end. (they're hoping the hens
wont need debeaking) The results were quite optimistic.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

It's a good system ..but the cynic in me is just waiting for man to muck it up so they can get a few extra pennies...I know I should feel hopeful but I'm hardwired this way when it comes to things like this unfortunately.

It's not a new concept but it is a new concept to commercial chicken keeping..I truly hope it will be adopted because lets face it compared to the alternative...but straight away I can hear the number crunchers squealing about set up costs...I'm sorry I'm such a cynic )sh
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It looks as if it's set up to be 'on view'. Visitors tunnel etc.
I can't see many commercial farmers acting like that. Though we have a local 'Ice Cream Farm' that started with viewing areas to see the cows milked and the ice cream made, and they made their money by sales of Cheshire Ice Cream and the cafe. It has expanded into an indoor and outdoor adventure playground and childrens parties venue. Still with a milking parlour and other animals on view, but subsidiary.
Yes the hens do look fine. But like Manda I'm a bit cynical - well we all know that hen keeping is not an easy way to get rich.

What about that chicken turf. Do you reckon it's the answer to the mudbath?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I agree it depends on how many per square foot they have.

Also, staff needed for cleaning etc. so this would probably not be seen as good by some of the Egg Producers now (but that's tough!!).
They would get their 'revenge' on higher prices.

Guess it's better than they have at present though, so you have to be a little positive about it.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome