Ambers diary.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Re: Ambers diary.

Post by amber66 »

Quick update on the rat problem. I went down to the run this morning with their grapes/flubenvet and noticed another tunnel has appeared from under the shed, this time it was quite large about 3" in diameter, so i have now ordered some Eradibait and bait box. I hope this will at least keep the numbers down as i don't think the neighbours are doing anything about them, even as they originated from there in the first place.
Amber

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Afternoon all, it's been a while since i have posted as have been busy with work.
The girls are all fine at the moment, i was a little worried about Ruby at the beginning of the week as i heard her sneeze a couple of times and i think that it is her poo's that are light in colour. They were wormed about 3 weeks ago. She is still eating and drinking well and is always last to bed and even comes out once she has already gone to bed if she hears me wanting treats.
The neighbour who we had/have the rat problem with, bait box is now in the run with Eradibait in it, is insisting on having a bonfire EVERY day and i am worried this may cause problems with the girls. I have spoken with the council and because we are not in a conservation green belt area there is nothing they can do.
I have been to collect some free wood chip this morning so will be spending this afternoon clearing out the old wood chip and replacing it with the new before the rain arrives tomorrow.
Re egg production. I don't think the girls have realised that they can have a rest this time of year as it has increased to 4 eggs per day from 4 girls, not that i am complaining.
I hope all your girls are ok at the moment.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Ruby sounds like a night owl, I love them, they hang about thinking they will get all the treats when the others are in bed {rofwl} I have been postcreting mouse holes today, stay away rain and stay cold I say. I can't believe it is okay to have a nightly bonfire, just inconsiderate! I do envy you being able to get free wood chip
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
They don't just have the bonfire at night it can be any time day or night. They are renovating the house and instead of disposing the rubbish properly, the local recycling centre and rubbish dump is about half a mile away, they seem to burn it all and the smoke is so bad you are choking on it in doors with all the windows shut. {mr.angry}
I was lucky with the wood chip i did offer to pay but they were pleased i was taking it away, when i got there it looked like mount Everest!
The girls helped me spread the wood chip and were kept busy with the insects in it (extra protein) it also smell nicer in the run now.
I think i spoke too soon about the increase in production of eggs as i have none so far today.
Well must get on and tackle a large pile of ironing.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Have you tried the dept of environment if the council are useless?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all the lovely Laner's and all their girls.
Thank you for all your support through the year.
From.
Amber, Lily, Marigold, Molly and Ruby. )x( )x(
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Happy New Year Amber,Lily,Marigold,Molly and Ruby from Sandy and her Pink Ladies

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello all.
A quick up date on the girls.
Marigold looks like she is finishing her moult and is not looking so scruffy now, she is still as sweet and good natured as ever and seems to have accepted Ruby and Molly as part of the flock now.
Lily has kept her top hen status and keeps everyone in order, She is looking a bit scruffy and her black feathers around her neck have faded.
Ruby has fitted in well she was picked on to start with but this seems to have stopped now. She is always last to bed and often comes out to see me when i go to shut them in at night (i know there is only 4 but i still count them and wish them a good night {rofwl} ).
Molly is as mad as a March hare, i still haven't managed to get a good photo of her as she is never still and is into everything.
The weather has been quite cold here so i have been adding extra straw in the coop to keep them warm at night, it is lovely to see them all snuggled into it, they don't seem to perch much but Marigold and Lily sleep in the nest boxes and Molly and Ruby at the back of the coop in the same positions every night.
The egg tally is good at the moment they are all laying well. Molly is the largest of the girls but lays the smallest egg and the shells are quite thick.
I have managed to get some photos of the girls.

Ruby and Molly.
All four in the outside run.
Marigold playing king of the castle.

Lily with marigold in the background.

Lily on top of the coop.
Ruby eating breakfast.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Lovely pictures. Another Light Sussex called Lily )like(

You mention about Lily's neck feathers; will they return to black after the moult or do they fade with every moult? Sorry - very n00b question.
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Pixiedust,
In answer to your question about Lily's neck feathers i hope so but don't know, I am not even sure if she is moulting you see the odd white feather around the run and she is looking rather scruffy but i am fairly new to chickens myself and have not experienced a "full on" moult yet.
I think Marigold has / is going through a moult but she has been losing feathers for many months but you would not think so to look at her, again she just looked scruffy for a while.
Either way i still love them just as much but it would be nice to see the black feathers return.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Good morning all.
The girls are all well at the moment, one of them and i think it was Lily, laid a shell less egg last week so the rest of the girls had it for breakfast. I mixed some Limestone flour with their feed and bought them some Spinach leaves so hopefully that has done the trick as i haven't had any more thank goodness.
I had a good clean out of the run and coop yesterday while the girls were " busy" in the garden and coming in to "help" me, especially Molly who is constantly looking for treats.
I have had the Eradibait and container in the run for a few weeks now and have not seen any rats but a few holes appear occasionally so i expect they are still about. I don't know if they are eating the poison as it is still in the container, i did mix some corn with it to encourage them but still untouched.
They are all quite tame now and will eat out of my hand, apart from Marigold who can be a bit shy at times, their favourite is meal worms and grapes at the moment.
The egg tally is good i am getting between 3 and 4 eggs per day from the 4 girls and there is always friends or family who want some.
I hope everyone's girls are well.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Glad to hear your girls are well and happy, do hope you get rid of Roland and his mates very soon though!

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How are the girls doing Amber?

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
The girls seem to be doing ok at the moment, especially after the scare i had with Lily last week. I still keep going out to check that her tail feathers are still pointing upright and she has a nice pink face and that she is eating and bossing the others about.
While i was in the run chatting to her yesterday (my OH says i need to get out more!) i noticed that she has white eye lashes, i didn't know hens had eye lashes. {rofwl}
I haven't seen any rats lately so fingers crossed they have gone for now.We do however have a mouse in the shed so need to make extra sure no chicken food is left out.
Lily has started laying again so i am paranoid on checking on her every day, if there is going to be a problem i want to know asap especially as we lost Poppy to EYP last year.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Its such good news with Lily and of course you will be paranoid, you know I think we go from blase to paranoid daily with our girls don't we?