Pixie's Chix!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Pixie's Chix!

Post by KarenE »

The poos could be because of the tylan, or could be something else. Poor her, and poor you. Don't blame yourself about the vets, you're following vet treatment and you couldn't have done more for her. Without blood tests it would be hard to pinpoint what exactly she's got. She may be really unlucky and has flared up again with it.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow, and try not to beat yourself up about any of this. She is fortunate to have found someone who will look after her and get treatment for her.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

This was her flopped onto the carrier floor:

and this was the poo:
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Vets appt 11.10am for her final journey.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Pixie, I'm so sorry. Green poos are a sign of an infection, probably an internal one. Or it could be bile because she hasn't been eating. Probably something has taken advantage of the respiratory virus in spite of the tylan. You've done your best for her and now you're doing it again even though I bet it doesn't feel like it.

You certainly haven't had the easiest introductions to chicken keeping. I'm so sorry. I'm afraid these moments are inevitable. Don't let this put you off at all, the good moments definitely outweigh the bad.

I think I would be tempted to take one of your other girls to the vets too, if you think they also have a respiratory problem. It'll give you a chance to discuss their treatment with the vet too

{hug} {hug} because you probably need them
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thanks Karen.

I am more philosophical about this journey for her. I know she must go. It is cruel to let it go on a moment longer. I had a similar thing with my previous dog who had cancer. Whilst I was deeply upset, I was very content when he went because he was out of pain. I actually feel it is the right thing for her and in a way am sad but content I am doing the right thing. Hard to explain without sounding like a hard nosed female dog!!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Not at all - you're giving her the last good care you can and it's what she needs right now. Not hard nosed at all and good that you can look at it in those terms.

Goodbye Autumn, you beautiful girl {hug}

(I always want my girls to leave me with a name, and with their feathers grown back - naming them certainly isn't jinxing them. I only had Juno for about 3 weeks but I made sure she was named before she died.)
Karen
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Too upset to write much. OH buried her and he said all he had going through his head was the song Forever Autumn and that has made me blub like a baby {cry}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bless you all. That's made me well up as well. She was a beautiful girl and you gave her a lovely life, not to mention mealworms and corn. And now you're giving her a forever resting place.

Take care, and if it's any consolation I have cried like a baby each time I've lost one of my girls. we all do. {hug}
Karen
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Sorry to hear that you have lost your much loved girl. Sending you {hug}
Amber.
manda

Post by manda »

I'm so sorry she didn't make it...but I wholeheartedly agree with everything that's been said.
As Karen has said you've had a hard start to chicken keeping but as with everything to get something positive out of it you will have learnt a whole heap too....

You did all you could for Autumn ..you can't do anymore than that {hug}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thank you for your kind wishes. I am a bit more together now.

When the vet brought her out of the carrier, one of her legs was sticking out at a angle and her head was slightly twisted. He thought she may have had Marek's. Reading up on it, it all makes sense, even down to the hen possibly being ill for 2 - 3 months with other symptoms before displaying any classic signs. I have also read the watery lime green droppings are a classic sign of Marek's.

It just didn't occur to me as I thought she was vaccinated against it. She was but allegedly the breeders can dilute the vaccine to make it go further and some never get vaccinated, the hens may not get sick but be carriers, they may never show a single symptom and drop dead. Marans are a breed which are more prone than others.

I informed the seller today she was being pts and about the droppings and how she had just gone downhill so fast. I have not had a reply. I have a 50p bet with myself that he never will. I hope I am wrong.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I am sorry you lost poor little Autumn. And as others have said, it has been a dreadful baptism of fire going through all the worry of an ill hen before you've had any time enjoying the pleasure of chicken keeping. I think most of us have had stressful and worrying times with these fragile and - frankly - poorly designed creatures, but it really is true that the laughter they bring outweighs this, and I hope you will have many happy times ahead with the rest of the flock.

I do hope they are well and haven't caught anything.

I wrote a reply to you some time ago about our breeder (but deleted it because I was ranting!), after hearing about yours, who sounds like a total t*t and is clearly covering his back. Like you, I would bet you don't get any reply or if you do, it won't be in the least bit helpful.

Our breeder totally stonewalled me when I went early on in my chicken-keeping to get some advice about our chook who had all the classic symptoms of a respiratory infection ("oh no, it won't be that, bla bla"... well, it was). So busy covering his own bottom that he didn't realise I was only looking for advice, not to place blame. And it was also increasingly clear that he thought people who took their chooks to the vets were a bit pathetic and that any poorly chicken he had would have a very final remedy indeed. So I don't ask him for advice any more.

{hug} for you
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Henpal .
I think there is a big difference unfortunately between a professionsl chicken /egg breeding farmer/money maker and a caring thoughtful pet keepers. I can appreciate someone selling eggs and then chickens not laying for several months costing feed and space etc .The only way to stop large industrial attitudes is to get a better price for eggs and maybe chicken meat so as people eat less or subsidise the hens when they are not laying . As I say to Karen (who must be obeyed (VEGGY ) ) You cannot save every cat /dog / chicken animal in the world you can only save those that you can and dont get upset about the ones you cannot.She even got upset about a dog that got run over and she was not even involved . ( But done the neccessary picking up and getting out of the road as the other lady did not have a glue. Will not start on badgers as that would get heated no doubt , Another forum I think .
Enough said for now .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mareks. Good grief. I've just googled it and it is a horror story. I thought if they were vaccinated they would be okay but perhaps yours weren't vaccinated and that's a reason why your breeder (I agree with HPs character analysis!) is being so defensive. I think you can safely say you've won 50p there.

I hope HPs right and you do get to spend some time enjoying your other girls now.
Karen