Dismayed

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Carole
Lively Laner

Dismayed

Post by Carole »

Last June what i thought was a stray cat started coming to my door he was full of flu and as i have 4 cat's of my own i took the stray to the vet and got him treated.After he recovered he still turned up 4 times a day for food and a cuddle, but as he was entire kept spraying up back door ect.I asked all around and no one knew him so back to the vet we went to have him neutered and a tooth removed, he recovered well and after a short while he stopped coming.Now although i'm pleased he's no longer wandering and fighting i missed him a lot, i called him Ray by the way.A few weeks ago while walking the dog i spotted Ray in a garden so now know where he lives, iv'e seen him today and he has flu again,sneezing,runny eyes same as before.My heart want's to knock their door, but my head say's don't interfere, what should i do? if anything.
Mad Chick

Re: Dismayed

Post by Mad Chick »

I would knock the door.

Possibly that is not his home, just another place he gets a free meal...
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I agree with Lucy. I would knock on the door for the sake of the cat, who you have become fond of. You have shown such kindness to a 'stray' cat and if he does belong at the house where you saw him, the owners should be more than grateful for what you have done.
People don't like to interfere, but if more did, some animals wouldn't have the awful life that they do.
Good luck )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

Iv'e seen him again today eating chicken out of rubbish bag oooh bones. Just wish he would remember where i live have even thought about bringing him down here in a carrier feeding him and letting him go to see if he will then return, how devious am i. He's only a couple of mins away from my home surprised i didn't discover where he was before.Your right i am very fond of him but they may love him too just misguided,it seems he's out all day,why can't people be responsible.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I wonder if they've noticed that he's been neutered?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Very sad.

Really he shouldn't be let out if he has cat flu. My son has son and daughter cats whose Mother had Cat Flu and they're not allowed out in case they are carriers, in other words, indoor cats for life.

Sucha a shame, The advice from all above is good.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

If he is that bad and you have treated his tooth and had him neutered.
Just kidnap him and keep him inside for a couple of weeks. He will then realise that this is home. Cats are very fickle and will stay where they are fed and loved properly.
They may 'love' him as you say. But it is a very cockeyed kind of love. If they cannot feed him or treat his illnesses.
I don't they particularly care for him.
If you cannot keep him take him to a rescue and say you have had him scrounging around your place for weeks.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

I don't think they care enough to have noticed Kitla,it's pouring down here and to think of him out in this poor boy.I'm going out with dog later i'll have another look for him.One of my own cat's had ulcers on his nose and tongue as a kitten and i was told he's a carrier he's 12yrs old now and neither he or my other 3 cat's have had any problems so iv'e been lucky. Iv'e yet to see the so called owners so presume they at work all day,might take him some food up later.
Just seen your post Wendy it's such a shame he stopped coming after a few hisses ect my 4 were starting to ignore him and he was coming into the house to eat, i'm really tempted to kidnap him and i would certainly keep him,he's so loving all he wants is attention,sorry to go on i'm a soft touch.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Don't ever say you are a soft touch. Caring for an animals welfare is, surely, a proper human reaction.
I would do it and just keep him in and make him a house cat.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Carol you are obviously very worried about the cat, so do as Wendy says and just take him home. I doubt very much if the owner would bother to look for him as he didn't before when you cared for him. Not the correct thing to do I know if he does belong to someone, but maybe he is not living where he now takes shelter.

If you are approached by the owner, you need only say that he was around your home and you thought he was a stray so took him in and cared for him.
This poor boy does need a bit of loving care which no one else seems to be giving him.

Good luck and thanks on his behalf for being so caring. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

Been out twice walking today and no sign of Ray he must be under cover somewhere. I'm trying to organize a cage as my house is open plan and he would have the run of it and be able to escape via cat flap.I hope you will all visit me when i'm arrested for cat kidnapping will keep you posted, thank's for advice.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Cats that stray can pull at your heart strings. I had a frequent visitor to my back door, a tiny tabby. Fed it because it was so small. I found the owners round the corner and went to confirm it was theirs. All I got was, 'he is 13, he wanders around a lot, went across the road for several months, he has a dog kennel to live in at the bottom of the garden, kick him out'. Dirty dishes encrusted with old food were outside the back door. I thought no way am I going to ignore an older cat, and carried on feeding him, with the result he moved in and stayed 4 years until he died. They weren't best pleased with me, but I didn't give a stuff, I say, it doesn't matter who looks after an animal, as long as it is looked after. He was a gorgeous little fella and was much loved here. Go for it Carole, and don't tell anyone.
Ilona
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

My daughter say's if he comes to my door that's ok but i mustn't take him,i hasten to add she's left home so would a little white lie hurt don't want to be deceitful but i may have to. Iv'e got the cage sorted a friend can lend me back the one i borrowed when he was neutered.The vet said he was at least 6yr old so i cannot understand why iv'e only just started seeing him the past few months as this family have been here quite a while.The response you had is the one i think i'll get, anyway i'm on the hunt again tomorrow, i have 4 cat's a collie dog, tortoise,11 congo frogs and a rainbow crab all rescues but think i can squeeze in one more )t' )t'
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Just to clarify, I didn't steal the little tabby cat, he came of his own free will, and was free to leave whenever he wanted. My back door is nearly always open and I have a cat flap. For a while he was commuting between the two houses, but eventually he didn't go back at all. The people knew where he was but didn't bother to come looking. If they had asked I would have given him back, but they didn't. When he died of old age I went to their house to tell them, I thought that was the right thing to do. They didn't want his body, he is buried in my back garden.

There was a straying cat in our village, a beautiful ginger and white main coone, well cared for. I found out who owned him, the people had moved house from one side of the village to the other, but he didn't like his new home for whatever reason and kept going back to the old one. I picked him up several times and took him back in my car, but to no avail, he just didn't want to be there. Eventually the owner agreed to let him go, it wasn't working, and he was re homed through our cat rescue. He has a lovely home now with other cats, I see him often, and he stays within the area of where he lives.

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think cats are considered in law to be wild animals, not owned. Certainly my cat owns me not vv.
They go where they like.
My daughter moved into a house with a cat-flap. The ex owners cat popped in now and then, she phoned them (in the village) and they collected him. A neighbour had 2 cats & a dog. At first both the cats visited and she shooed them out, but one looked in a bad way so she started buying food for it and took it to the vet (wasn't sure where it lived). It moved in, she called it Bunter as it was always hungry. She spent quite a bit on vets bills. When the neighbours found she was going to move the asked her not to take their other cat! My older daughter moved into the house, the neighbours cat died of old age and they replaced it with a similar looking one, who also got the nickname Bunter by visiting D1 and stealing her cat's food (though it would scratch and not be petted).

Did anyone watch the programme were they monitored the cats in a village, they all had their rounds and ate each others food
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire