Anyone doing anything ?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Carole
Lively Laner

Re: Anyone doing anything ?

Post by Carole »

Went to my plot yesterday cabbage onions and coli look fine,ground very wet. Sown pepper seeds doing leeks tomorrow got my carrot beetroot and lettuce spring onion seeds and ordered 3 types of potato none of which iv'e grown before, so fingers crossed for a good crop.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Carole wrote:Went to my plot yesterday cabbage onions and coli look fine,ground very wet. Sown pepper seeds doing leeks tomorrow got my carrot beetroot and lettuce spring onion seeds and ordered 3 types of potato none of which iv'e grown before, so fingers crossed for a good crop.

Isn't this time of year exciting )t' Why don't you start a gardening diary and then you'll be able to let us know how things are coming along plus post photos of your progress.
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

Morning Lancashire Lass,exciting yes funny how just sowing a few seeds gives you such a lift at this time of year :-D I'll have a look at doing the diary and will have to get daughter to show me how to do pic's had a new phone and it's all Greek to me :-D
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Going off veg growing due to the millions of slugs determined to eat it all before I do. I'm not sure I want to go out in the dark with a torch every night for six months. My beds need nourishment, compost getting a bit tired. Will probably pot up some beans and stick some spuds in. Maybe a couple of courgette plants. No experimental stuff, just a few tried and tested to supplement my supermarket veg.
Ilona
leguminous
Learner Laner

Post by leguminous »

We are in the planning stages here. I have a three tier shelf with grow lights that my husband made me, so I need to make up my mind what I will start... too many choices! We are looking for a home for our two milk goats and plan to grow corn where their pen is... bet it'll grow 12 ft. in that soil!

~Joanne
Wilco
Learner Laner

Post by Wilco »

Hi Dickie getting back into the veg gardening this year so gonna start this weekend having a bit of tidy up. Any suggestions on best plan of action? What should I prioritise? Cheers Wilco
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Wilco,

I saw the name and did wonder if it was you!!

The Members Diaries are always good to read.

Guess now, for most, is general preparation time. Not much fun to dig at present though.

I'm getting my Broad Beans in very shortly.

Drove past your place yesterday going to and from Pegwell Bay Nature Reserve and wondered about your Vegetable Garden, great hideaway !

Dickie! )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Wilco
Learner Laner

Post by Wilco »

Ok Dickie got some good work done recently in preparation for planting. Put some Garlic bulbs and Asparagus crowns in today so all underway and probably get some Broad Beans in next.

Anything else that should be going in now?

Next time you are passing please let me know and pop in for a coffee and you can have a look at my plot and give me your expert advise!!

Hope you are well?

Wilco
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Folks must be "doing" now - Jackie, I have a three tiered shelf, I've started off Broad beans and peas ..... What are my Lovely Lane colleagues thoughts on what else I could get going? Don't want to jump the gun, but left it late last year so didn't get as good a yield as I could from my three smallish beds! Love to hear what folks think )like( xx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I've made a start. Not going to bother nursing seeds in pots, moving them around to where the sun is. I've dug over four beds and planted runner beans, broad beans, and mangetout peas straight into them. I did put six courgette seeds in pots though, but they can stay outside.

I've taken down my home made greenhouse, in it's place I am building a summer house with pallets, doors, and timber. The sun stays the longest in that corner of the garden so I thought it would be a nice place to sit.
Ilona
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have done well.

We have 2 allotments one was attended by my Husband Ian who sadly died 3 months ago and that was just " a mans plot " potatoes, onions , garlic , most root crops and the odd fruit tree. The other one was mine and very girly with all the salad crops , strawberries , beautiful tomatoes and any thing else I could squeeze in.
Things have changed and I considered giving up Ian's as I thought it would be too much for me on my own . It is paid for till October and there is a lady on our site that needed more space and she offered to take on half.I have dug over my half and am going to fill it with squashes, pumpkins, cucumbers and courgettes to fill the space plus extra spinach and cabbages for the chickens while I decided what to do for next season )t'
My plot is going well I have it all dug over and have in broad beans, potatoes, mange tout .
I find it difficult to grow carrots so I have put them in crates with sieved soil.
A lot of the fruit bushes I have moved from one site to another and planted a rhubarb crown.
It seems that I have done a lot but with out the allotments to go to especially now the nights are lighter I would not have made such a good onward and up ward start to a new life.
I have found the allotment folk I meet and the environment up there so therapeutic. )like(
Jackie .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have done well.

We have 2 allotments one was attended by my Husband Ian who sadly died 3 months ago and that was just " a mans plot " potatoes, onions , garlic , most root crops and the odd fruit tree. The other one was mine and very girly with all the salad crops , strawberries , beautiful tomatoes and any thing else I could squeeze in.
Things have changed and I considered giving up Ian's as I thought it would be too much for me on my own . It is paid for till October and there is a lady on our site that needed more space and she offered to take on half.I have dug over my half and am going to fill it with squashes, pumpkins, cucumbers and courgettes to fill the space plus extra spinach and cabbages for the chickens while I decided what to do for next season )t'
My plot is going well I have it all dug over and have in broad beans, potatoes, mange tout .
I find it difficult to grow carrots so I have put them in crates with sieved soil.
A lot of the fruit bushes I have moved from one site to another and planted a rhubarb crown.
It seems that I have done a lot but with out the allotments to go to especially now the nights are lighter I would not have made such a good onward and up ward start to a new life.
I have found the allotment folk I meet and the environment up there so therapeutic. )like(
Jackie .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, I'm in the same position, and have got dozens of things that I 'ought' to be sorting out - both short term and long term. But since I'd already got seed potatoes sprouting I've spent some time weeding and planting. Getting out in the sunshine is so much better than sitting over forms and spread sheets or wondering what to do with all the clutter.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

It's true what they say about gardening being therapeutic. {hug} {hug} and best wishes to you both
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell