beers a bubbling

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

beers a bubbling

Post by fabindia »

Latest batch of home brew on the go.

Only do a couple of 40 pint batches a year now. I do think that the kits you buy now a days are 100% better than a few years back. With a bit of time and patience you can brew a half decent real ale.
Michael
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Re: beers a bubbling

Post by fabindia »

Beer's now bottled )t'
Michael
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hope it turns out a good un micheal. )t'
I havent brewed anything for a while now, I maybe off work this weekend so maybe time to dig the gear out. :-D )hic(
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Been using a kit from Black Rock, a New Zealand company. Not the cheapest you can buy but a half decent brew.
Michael
whelp
Learner Laner

Post by whelp »

hi all,

I tend to use the Wilkinsons stuff, its nice and cheap. (the most I've paid is £12 a tin and I generally buy 2 for £15 on special)

the coopers stout is very good, my 11 year old son likes a drink of it off me as well... but it is comparatively expensive at £16 or so quid a tin.

the pound shops round here sell a kilo of sugar for around 60p so equipment and water aside it works out very well as I can get 46 - 48 grolsh swingtops out of a tin. I have around 120 swingtop bottles as its my favourite beer anyway

I have currently a coopers lager that I am drinking but I aint that keen on it, the cheaper stuff seems to be better. you can also add brown sugar to the lager to give it a bit more flavour, which doubles the flavours you can make but the brown sugar is a bit more expensive, I have found it for about £1.30 a kilo so still not out of the way.

if you can save decent sized bottles you can re cap them as well, I have a few manns brown ale and banks's bitter bottles that are close to 500ml and the caps are only £1 for 50 from wilkos, I got the capper off ebay as I wanted a metal one, not a plastic one (£12)

all in all you can do a decent brew for not too much cash, there are also a few brewing shops by me that do specials so you can always find something to taste. some of the kits will make wine as well as beer/cider so you would have a choice to make!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

My brother's really into his home brew and swears by the woodfords kits - you can get woodfords wherry from wilkies which is supposed to be very good. I gave wilkies pils lager kit a go - my first beer homebrew - and it was quite nice. I think if I do it again I'll give the cerveza kit a go as that's got good reviews. It was so easy to do. And if you get them in the sale, you're quids in. I added half light spray malt to mine, half normal sugar (which is currently 45p in poundstretchers). My brother buys the standard kits then adds ingredients like fruit or hops etc - he's getting quite experimental.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
whelp
Learner Laner

Post by whelp »

you can't go wrong with the wilkos stuff, all of it is fine.

I would say though that the longer you leave it before you drink it then it tastes better, you re supposed to leave it for 3 weeks which is fine but if you leave it a couple of weeks longer then they do taste better and you can pour them easier without getting sediment into your pint.

both lagers are very good, the bitter is quite light as well, I would recommend that as well
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I'll have to check out our local Wilkos :-)
Michael