School Sport -Link between fitness and showering

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

School Sport -Link between fitness and showering

Post by Richard »

Whilst eating my really healthy fry up this morning I watched BBC News 24 speaking about young people not showering after sport (what there is of sport and fitness in schools nowadays!).

The link is.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30796304

There were some things I found interesting.

1. Girls are not as fit as boys, shower less and they spend more time sitting around in the evenings

2. The very small amount who do actually shower after active sport.

You'd have thought it's not just about fitness but more hygiene, some of them must stink !

I know we all say 'back in my day', but it's true. My PE and other Sports Teachers used to stand by the shower entrance and give you a whack on the backside if were dawdling, plus the showers were usually barely warm. Absolutely no one got away without having a shower!!

Shame is the above would not be politically correct nowadays, there you go.

But PC apart, are you surprised about it, loads of dirty teenagers walking the streets! Fair enough some may shower as soon as they get home.

Maybe it's just another study by Universities who are leant on to produce Projects, some of which are meaningless ??

But interesting.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Re: School Sport -Link between fitness and showering

Post by wendy »

My school didn't have showers !
I left school in 1958.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

wendy wrote:My school didn't have showers !
I left school in 1958.

Now mine. Good healthy sweat.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I'm sure you both smelt of young roses in Spring.

:-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Bear in mind I grew up in South Africa - in summer we did swimming (swimming pools were outside not indoors like here) and most showered afterwards to get the smell of chlorine out of their hair. Winters over there are cold but dry (drought season) and we did PE outdoors but I don't remember showering afterwards (probably because the water was not heated LOL)

Richard wrote:Maybe it's just another study by Universities who are leant on to produce Projects, some of which are meaningless ??

Projects are usually funded from external sources with a vested interest. As there is concern about the expanding waistline of the nation, it does not surprise me that there is research into finding out why people do not exercise enough.

Richard wrote:My PE and other Sports Teachers used to stand by the shower entrance and give you a whack on the backside if were dawdling ...

Shame is the above would not be politically correct nowadays

The changing room at my school had a mix of individual cubicles and open benches - the PE teacher would stand and gawk at those who were unfortunate at not getting a cubicle. With all the recent news of improper behaviour by certain members of society, I now look back on those days and wonder ...
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We didn't have showers at school either and neither does the local secondary that my kids went to. I know Izzy one year had cross country first period on monday mornings and would have to spend the rest of the day covered in mud spatters and feeling grubby - they all resorted to taking in baby wipes in the end to try to clean themselves up )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

There are showers at my son's secondary school, but he's said they only have
5 mins to change & get to the next lesson, so they don't get used. He takes his
deod spray & waits till he gets home!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant