House dust mites

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
albertajune
Legendary Laner

House dust mites

Post by albertajune »

For a long time now, I've had a real problem with sinus, breathing (do have asthma usually under control) and the fuzzy head that goes with both of these. I have just been told that I am allergic to house dust mites. yike* I can't look at a picture of them anymore!

We do have carpets and upholstered furniture that of course gets vacuumed, but not every day and all the other usual's in the home. I have come back from the GP, stripped of the bed and put everything in a hot wash. That includes pillows and duvet. Thoroughly cleaned the mattress, but what else?

As I have been feeling really unwell, I want to get on top of this, so if anyone else has the problem please let me know how you cope. I know no more using a feather duster and using a damp cloth instead but can see all my time being taken up with cleaning.

Thank goodness it had nothing to do with any pets.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: House dust mites

Post by lancashire lass »

I realise this post is a bit old and hopefully you will have got something sorted by now. I've been allergic to house dust mites practically all my life (actually its the proteins in their droppings that cause the allergy) and most likely in my case, sensitivity is due to a genetic thing as my mother was allergic to other things as well (in later years I developed hay fever when I was 35 and asthma at 40) As you say you already suffer from asthma, it is probably a similar immune reaction.

Keeping the dust down is probably the only thing you can do - I always use a damp cloth to wipe things down with and never used a dry duster. Also, give the carpet, upholstery and curtains a good clean (steam clean if you can - protein is degraded at temperatures above 60oC) and there are anti-allergenic products on the market that you can use instead of the usual detergents. Thereafter, a hoover with a good filter (also known as HEPA filter) as per your usual cleaning regime. If the mattress and pillows are getting on a bit, perhaps it may be worth replacing them otherwise the alternate especially the mattress, would be to put a cover over it (I'd like to say plastic sheet but I think there are things you can use - have a word with your local pharmacist for products that are available)

As for the pets, they can still produce the dander and skin flakes (dust) which the house dust mite feeds on - so indirectly, they can contribute to the problem especially their bedding so don't forget to give that a good washing/cleaning too.

albertajune wrote:I have just been told that I am allergic to house dust mites. I can't look at a picture of them anymore!

All houses have a thriving colony of different mites and other little insects, even the cleanest, so please don't feel it is a reflection of your home LOL
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I hadn't seen this post either until today. A friend has serious problems with this, and she has done all of the things that LL suggests. She would emphasis the covers for pillows, cushions, duvets and mattresses and the HEPA filter. She also tries to keep rooms well-ventilated and - and I have no idea whether this works or not and confess to scepticism - uses an ioniser. The idea of it is to get the dust to settle out rather than being in the air to be breathed in. Presumably you've also looked at the other end of the problem - antihistamines, nasal sprays etc, which are all on prescription or cheaper at supermarkets.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Freeranger wrote:Presumably you've also looked at the other end of the problem - antihistamines, nasal sprays etc, which are all on prescription or cheaper at supermarkets.

I once had flu (despite having a flu jab that year) which landed on my chest and I had a bad asthmatic episode and breathing problems. I was prescribed a few medicines, including cough mixture even though I didn't have a cough. At first I mocked the idea but aside from recovery, the side effect was ... my nasal passages were clear as a bell (I've always had a stuffy nose and sinus) The magic ingredient was pseudoephidrine (or phenylephidrine) like in Sudafed. However, I don't think off the shelf product has the same potency as the prescribed cough mixture I was given but it may be something to try if it is really bad. I would perhaps advise not taking it all the time as your body can get used to it and it will not be so effective when you need it the most.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for your replies which are always helpful.

I am still having a problem but have got on top of it a bit. Some days are a lot better than others, so I am having to really go over what I have been doing. I was prescribed anti histamine tabs but don't want to have to take them long term. I did buy new pillows and really hot washed all other bedding. Also done away with the mattress foam overlay.
Now in the habit of damp dusting, hoover chair and sofa cushions more regularly and wearing a mask when thoroughly cleaning.
I have also taken to hoovering out the chicken house a couple of times a week as the problem may be coming from there. It is surprising how dusty the straw makes it.

I have had asthma for some years and also sinus problems, so hopefully being aware of how I am doing things may help them.

Thanks again for taking the trouble. )like(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.