My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by KarenE »

Hard cover definitely, especially in this kind of rubbish wet weather. We use those corrugated plastic sheets that you can get from diy stores, they let the light in, keep the pests out and the rain drains nicely away as they overlap edges.

So sorry to hear about 2 ring blue left leg, it can be a huge shock when they go like that. To look on the bright side, you gave her a much better life even for a short time, and she went quickly and peacefully which is all any of us would want really.

Thing is though Bob - because you have 1 space suddenly freed up doesn't mean you can get another 4!! :-D You have been well and truly biten by the ex batt bug. )like(
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

Hi Bob, sorry you have lost your chuck. Please keep posting...you always brighten my day. )like(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all .I got hopme yesterday and was surprised to see my girls running around my garden.Run outside wondering what was going on .Well stupid ,very lucky me . I had not oprned the poop hole and left the top stable door of Cluckingham palace open -Runs shut . I had got side tracked and complete screwed it . Fortunately no harm done .Soaked chickens but they did not seem to care. I spent lots of time with them in the afternoon and apart from acoup[le moulting they are (seem ) in good condition . Got 6 eggs no broken so doing reasonablely well start of year . I get 20kgs of pellets for 7.00pounds and fancy mixed corn for 7.90 .last a couple of weeks so eggs cover this easily . treats are extra and saw dust and straw hopefully get covered when extra eggs are gained. The new girld in the med ward are getting into running over and looking for food when I sit down and feed by hand . Will have to get them iintergrated with the others as plenty of room in Cluckingham Palace . Not sure if they want to but will need the coop soon for new arrivals or any sicky`s . Somme is back will need to put some sand or drainage holes to run the water off as it is on a gravel bed (glacier left overs from the ice age .) Will only br popping home today to collect eggs and check them out and let the dogs out. New year and bikes are starting again and weekend work is back full swing ,till march and then we will see.Personnally felt rough this week , may have had a bug but not an excuse for failing the birds and the animals . Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all .Lovely weekend and trust you all have had a good one as well. Had ablind party last night ,Giblet would have enjoyed it. Eating with the lights out and not knowing what is on the plate....... (veggies protected ) Girls got the left overs . I think I had a few wobbling as my contribution was Baked potatoes /cheese and whiskey . Under cooked and horrible ..... My view anyway . Dog ,chickens must have eaten as all gone by midday today. (Partying in the coop tonight .) I let the girls out 8.00am and was going to Sea side so was going to put them back by midday. One phone call changed all that. Work -get in by 4.00pm and go home at 6.00 am .... Karen (whom must be obeyed ) had to go on her own to see her sister. Well the girls were more than happy as they stayed in the garden till 3.30 pm . Took the dogs out twice and brought bag two bags of field grass/corn .plus abit of nettle/hedge greenry. (one walk was before I went to work and the other as I was going out for the afternoon.All in all they all had a good day.Enjoyed them charging around with bits of bread and things . They see one go and they all chase , when there is plenty all over for them all. Sat big bowl of grapes went in know time , did not get any ,14 eggs sat and sunday so 6 for the young girl up the road who knocked wanting 12 but need the rest for work .They do try to please and some go through the motion and do not lay anything . They look so surprised when they get up and look .I could say I now want they feel like but not going there. Tried to write down the ring/ colours but managed to still have a girl unaccounted for 22 girls 21 rings/colours counted. They do not stand still with legs showing to be counted . Be interesting to see which one is missing . Karen ( who must be obeyed is off to BURMA with her daughter on the 20th Jan for a few weeks so have some more time to chicken watch,nights this week which will allow me to lock up before work a nd timre to free range .Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,
Had a lovelly day with the girls. The only funny thing to happen was the three girl raid on the dog food in kitchen . Fast , they were like emu`s ...... 11 eggs one pecked but boiled and ready to eat...
A good day 50 per cent laying .. Out in garden till 3.00pm then rain . Took the dogs to woods and brought some fern back for a change .
Must decide what to do with little N and Minnie as they are small. Though they Seem to be starting to pull above their weight now .Plenty of food .Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Today , had a sleep till 9.00 am and then let the girls and boys out . Out all day till 4.00pm . plenty of food from all directions . Loaf of bread - half a loaf from across the road . Broccalli from next door. Tomatoes and cabbage from me . pellets am mixed corn afternoon .6 eggs today .Went to a different wood today -acorn leaves of a tree for scratching around the coop .Grass of different types .Even having been feed that much all day they still hang around the back door and run when they see me . I was locking up the coops and doing the normal nightly count up.I was about to do the last coop when I noticed a shadow by the window of the Cluckingham palace and there was Lilly all settled down for the night .Wrong side of the shed.I picked her up and put her inside . add to this I have 5 in the med ward instead of the 4 . This is not the same girl all the time .Seems that a dispute in Cluckingham Palace as Lilly and another decided to move out.Lilly was not to happy going in the coop but I was not letting her stay out all night .Hopefully a good night sleep will give them a more happier frame of mind tommorrow. I want to get the new girls in the main run so as the next new girls can move in . They seem to be happy and do not want to go .Eviction notice may need to be given . winter wind and rain today . Storm cloud made the girls dive for cover ,they soon came out again dry .Girls worked hard at muck spreading today in the flower or should I say old flower bed . Thats about it for today .Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Another beautiful day even if a bit windy and cold.
Again a lot of different feed today . cress water melon bread mixed corn tomatoes pellets and a bag of grass from the fields . Lots of fresh water as they do tend to wash their feet in it . Have tuper wear containers, dog bowl large and two standing drip feeder types . In their coops they have hanging chick bottles that you turn upside down for a drink in the night .washing on the line today and some back for a rewash ? Penelope is taking over ME. She defends me like the food . tells the rest to keep behind . A couple jump on the bench and help themselves when I am looking the other way. If they can not the chirp for attention .As I said very pleasant day .Tonight Penelope decided that the medical ward was the best place to sleep as she was in with the new girls . s she has spent many days in there herself I feel mean to throw her out . So left her with them. I think she is missing out and wants to know what they get she does not.I thought the girls had a system of sleeping and did not change , but there must be something I am missing as they change around as they feel like .Still cannot work out which chicken has the colour ring /s that I have missed .Differently 22 girls but 21 ring legs .I try to do the ulesseys giant at the cave door with his sheep but they girls just mob the door into the garden and thats it fior the day. At night they sleep with legs up so no chance of sorting it out. I thought of taking a picture of each of them but someone saud they change the markings /feathers so not sure that work for to long .They are friendily as long as they yhink I have food . Let me stroke them and pick them up . As I have another full week of nights shifts and a Sunday working , they should have got over the Xmas neglect . Karen ( who must be obeyed ) May come a visiting the wekend as not much shopping to do , so she will be surprised to see how well they are doing .See if she can take some pictures on her phone and down load and send them to FSFHens as they are also looking for the pictures .22nd Feb Poultry Auction locally . trouble I like so many of the birds I would end up with far tomay for my own good / or the chickens. or emus etc.Well hqave a good night and a good day tomorrow.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,
Today I had a lovelly 10 mins . Penelope jumped on my hand walked up my arm stood on my shoulder .Put head up against my ear and chirped for a good ten mins . Then flew off in such of food.
MAGIC.
The rest of the day can not touch it .
9 eggs plus 1 eaten .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

It's lovely when you get rewarded with moments like that! She'll probably be your
favourite now. Take your self control with you to that auction, you wont have time
for many "Penelope moments" if you get lots more hens.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sounds like Penelope is fast becoming your favourite Bob. I bet she was telling you her food order for the day. Soon it will be Penelope (who must be obeyed) :-D

For sleeping arrangements, they do swap around a lot. Mine are always swapping nest boxes, and seem to move around through the night too which is odd as I've always understood chickens sleep like they're dead to the world. Mine have always been awake and grumbling whenever I've had to go into the coop at night.

Definitely take pictures of them though Bob. Even if it doesn't help with identification, you will still have the memories and as sad as it is to say, they are with us for far too short a time so to have pics to remember them by is really nice. Besides, photos on diaries is compulsory - didn't the diary bosses tell you? :-D
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all (Karen ) , I have learnt a lot in todays catch up. 1 The reason for one of my girls sounding like a duck and another honking like a goose..
2 Rose petals . This is the only plant that is left growing safely . The bush is agood 3foot up .so maybe the reason it still has flowers on it.
My girls and boys have had afeast this weekend . whole butternut squash , I cut it up into chunks and they totally ingnored it. I though half into the garden and they have pecked it to bits.Last night Parker went missing from his roosting box with the over boys and I thought I had left him in the garden . Another heartattack. When I went into the other coop with the majority of the girls (13 ) I did not see him . But all of a sudden he popped his head out from between th e girls perched . I think it must have been cold and he went to warm them up , as we gents do.Tonight he has gone back to the boys quarters .Peneelope is my favourite and Karen who must be obeyed says it is wrong for me to spoil her and not the others . They all have a part of my heart for sure and are following in Penelope steps and getting the best places to get feed . Today for a long while ( probably due to the weather ) Penelope and about ten others rushed the back door and through to the front room and raided the dog food . This was without me noticing and Harley the Mastif too which shows how quick they can be. I was distracked by egg collecting a girl who was still laying cooing at me . End ressult a couple of tins of dog food and a cat tin gone to the wrong stomachs.Aubergines are not liked as they not gone near it. Green chopped into small cubes including the staulky bits goes down well . Wild bird feed seems to go as the collor doves and sparrows do not get a look in .I dusted some of the girls again yesterday and some came on to the Medical Ward by themselves so did not have to chase them . All the new girls have been done three times now so happy with them .One is still looking rough as moulted and growing her feathers back . 7 eggs today and managed to get them to work tonight . They seem to be laying all over the place and find them in places not layed in for a long time. Thinking of putting a couple of wooden eggs in the boxes to encourage them.Going to be VERY cold tonight and hope they are comfortable .Majority of them percch rather thasnsit in nest boxes .Penelope is in with the new girls again so seem to have got her own squad .Grass is gathered daaily now when I take the dogs out and they enjoy it as well .Thats about it for now as work calls .
Nights again this week .Bob
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

Chickens raiding dog food!1 Hilarious!!! Thanks for the stories Bob!!! )like(
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Distraction techniques such as cooing, looking cute, singing and dancing is a well known special henpal manoeuvre. Mine have had the cats food out of his bowl by distracting me with a counter runner (literally, as Tigger ran all over the kitchen counters while the others rushed the bowl). Be very careful Bob, it seems your girls are developing strategies and that is when they are at their most dangerous!
{rofwl}
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Karen , Masters at distracting me , mind you it does not take much. Today I wanted to leave for work early I.E 5.00pm . Blow me down the girls played up . Boys good as gold straight to bed first . I had six girls in the med ward so I thought let them sort it out as it will be cold again. Counted the girls in the other coop and came up with one more when the six were added. Now I know they do not reproduce that quick but before another re count I thought I would lock up the med ward . two of the girls ,new ones would not go in then decided to settle under the nest box. Not having that . When I looked in the nest area the extra girls was Penelope whom has been in there and had know trouble ad 2 ring left leg . She is a bully to say the least and had picked the best place and was not having the regulars in . I had to remove her forciably as she did not want out . I put her in the run and she went to the big coop Clinkingham Palace . That was the wrong count . I put her in via the poop hole and looked them , went , back to sort the new girls out .Two little ones Little n and minnie were still under the nest box . Had to pull them out and push them in the nest box. Locked them up all safe and sound . Double checked all the runs /coops and left for work 5.15 pm . OH well . Today was a beautiful day and I sat in the garden with my dog , cat sun bathing ( in January .) I feel a sleep and woke up freezing cold as a big black cloud had gone in front of the sun. I was amazed to have Penelope and two of her friends perched on my leg , a dog head on my lap and a cat on my shoulder .
I must have loked like Dr. Dolittle. Not much treats today - 1/2 a loaf of brown bread and a 1/2 a loaf of white bread from a neighbour .plenty of mixed corn thrown on the mud for scratching . Girls were all (22) sunbathing this afternoon at the back doors and I could count them easily and they all looked happy as well.Out on my bike as well with the dogs only a 5 mile ride on the marshses but enjoyable.Heres to more good weather .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi again , I have named another girl . Heart . See if you can guess the colour of her ring , she has also got pretty close to my heart ( they all Have really ) .
Bob