Make shopping bags

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Make shopping bags

Post by Meanqueen »

I do a lot of sewing at this time of year, too cold to go out, and my tables are situated at the front window overlooking the road, so I can look out and see people passing. Some projects are complicated and take ages, and some are quickly put together. Yesterday I knocked up four shopping bags. The fabric is offcuts from the Scrapstore, not enough of one colour to make up a whole bag, so I mixed and matched. They are heavy fabrics with a rubbery backing, so the bags are strong and should last a long time.

If anyone wants to make shopping bags it is quite easy. Use a 10p bag for life as a pattern to get the right size. Thick curtain material is best. Box the bottoms after sewing up the side seams, by sewing across the corners. The handles can be sewn to the outside if the fabric is thick, but if a lighter fabric is used the ends can be tucked under the hem around the top. Have a go if you have a machine. Get rid of the plastic bags.
Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Make shopping bags

Post by Spreckly »

So colourful, Ilona. But when I used material with a ruberised backing, for blackout curtains, it bunged my late mil's electric sewing machine up, and I had to have it serviced. I do own, and still use more than the electric machine, my grandmother's old Singer, which takes canvas and other thick materials in its stride.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Make shopping bags

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi. I haven't noticed any problems with my machine, but then I have only made a few bags with this fabric. I sometimes sew through thicker upholstery fabric as well. I recently took my machine to bits and cleaned it, some fluff in there, and I changed the bent needle. Not bad after 15 years service. It's a Janome 2200XT Around £100 from a well known Homeware shop.
Ilona