Re: Sammy

Post by Meanqueen »

This thread brings tears to my eyes, your dedication is admiral, Wendy. {hug}
Ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

A little update.
He had remembered all I taught him, because I found out he hadn't been walked round the field since I was bitten :? So just in the paddock and back. Poor little soul.
Anyway he is doing OK. Now he has bonded to me I now take him into the paddock and play ball with him. He loves it, bless him.
He is an absolute live wire, but I can wear him out this way and in the end he lays down.
But they do have some funny little ways don't they ? There is a couple of very large lorry tyres in there and he lays down in the middle of one. Another funny little way he has. When he drops the ball. He drops in a little indentation in the grass. Only about the size of my hand. But he brings it back and drops it in there. How strange, I wonder why. Perhaps he has some kind of OCD.
After the 3/4 hour game I put him on his lead and walk him around the paddock. But he wanted to take the tennis ball with him, so I let him. Hey presto didn't want to bark at the other dogs. I think I may be able to get him fixated onto a ball and make his walking much easier. Hence making him, perhaps, more adoptable. He is never going to be a p ussy cat and he probably will only be allowed off lead in an enclosed area where there are no other dogs.
He walks nicely on a loose lead now, so at last one of the guys walks him as well. At the beginning it was me a 70 year old woman ! :?
Feeling more positive about the little guy.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

)t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear Sammy is doing well and that someone else is also walking him.

70 or not I bet you have more up your sleeve than all the others put together. Anyway it is only a number after all. LOL

How is Dave doing, Wendy?
wendy

Post by wendy »

Dave was a constant worry, as he took both his Dad and his best mate going suddenly, very badly. Wouldn't eat for about 4 days at a time. Wouldn't come to me, didn't greet me at the front door and if I went to stroke him. He just pulled away. Very upsetting for mel.
At a loss what to do with him. I had distant Reiki............ and he hasn't looked back.
He eats every day comes to me for strokes and hugs without being asked and sleeps by my feet of an evening.
So, at last, Gwen he is doing OK thank you

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thats really good, Wendy and I am so pleased to hear he is finally settling. )t' Give him a {hug} from me, please.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well here is the little man

Not the best photo as it was a miserable day. Quite certain he is an Akita cross. I have thought with a staffy . He is really strong.
Getting calmer, as I play a lot with him and use some of his energy up. I don't have any problems on lead now. But of course in his kennel, nothing I can do.
To help him overcome this and be manageable [and that is all you are going to get, being realistic] you would need to live with him.
But I still am the only one who walks him in the field out of volunteers or staff. Poor little lad. Still he does get that daily from me.

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

)like( He certainly has the face of a Staffie and looks very happy and handsome in his pic. When you come across dogs like Sammy it must make you feel sad that he is so distressed. Your bond with dogs is so tangible Wendy and I'm sure that they can feel the empathy that you have for them. That's why they are so good with you, when they don't bite!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

He reminds me of a colt we went to look at as a companion for Edna, Clare's remaining pony. He has little monkey right the way through, bless him.

We walked away from the colt as Edna would not have coped, least of all us and have since heard from the owner that he is a big handful to say the least.

Sammy does look lovely though.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Much success today with the young man.
He is very dog reactive and I have been working at this.
I have him now that, on a lead he is good, if another dog is on lead and walks past the paddock he will continue to play ball.
But....today someone put a staffy in the adjacent paddock. Neither dog was on lead and a fence fight ensued. :? Two of the other staff that were close by uttered some expletives !
I picked up his lead and called him.....................and he came first time )b( )b( )b(
Sat in front for me to put it on, bless him. That took some self control on his part.
He has excelled himself today

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Your devotion is paying off Wendy.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Please, please, please >fi< and pray a lot.
Sammy has a lovely couple who have reserved him. They have seen him 3 times and I have spoken to them for 20 minutes. The 2 teenage daughters have also come to see him and also love him.
They are very sensible, have had a dog reactive dog before and are willing to give him time and patience.
Please God they take him home, it will take another couple of weeks.
I cannot tell you how much I want this to happen and I can go onto another......they have them lined up for me, the manager has told me )grin2(

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Fingers crossed for him Wendy. The boy really deserves a loving for ever home and all credit to you if it happens for him. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hope this family really bond with Sammy, Wendy, and it all works out well.