Dreamys Eggporium - the new arrivals!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
dreamywings
Learner Laner

Dreamys Eggporium - the new arrivals!

Post by dreamywings »

For the past month ive been getting squawked at by Snowflake, (light sussex) Kate (light sussex) and Henny Penny (warren). They know something is going on but they havent quite figured it out yet. Their free range area has been made larger (they now have 1/3 of the garden) and they have been booted out of their converted playhouse and now live in the shed. The old coop has been cleaned and scrubbed and a small run attached.

I'd never considered having ex battery hens but for one reason or another I saw an advert on a fb page and thought why not so the donation button was pressed and I was going to be a new mummy for 3 caged hens. EXCITING!

The week before the collection date I had many sleepless nights worrying about whether the girls would settle in, what state they would be in and whether or not I would be able to cope with more girls. The night before the day of collection I didnt sleep I was just too eggcited!

I woke up early on the day of arrival and made their coop all cosy for them. I put out the drinkers and the feed stations then sat waiting impatiently until it was time to collect my girls.

I arrived at the house at my designated time and I thought I had prepared myself for what I might see OMG I have never in my entire life seen such a shocking site. Those poor poor girls what kind of a life had they endured. The majority had bald patches and sores, alot had cuts, they were pale and certainly didnt look like happy hens.

The lovely lady at the collection point told me to choose 3.........how the hell can you choose? you just want to take them all home but I knew the others were also going to start a new life of freedom in their forever homes.

I caught the 3 closest to me, they were a right sorry looking bunch. I drove them home and opened the box they just sat there in bewilderment. I gently lifted each one out and placed her in the coop with some water and food and closed the door on them so they could get used to their new surroundings. Kate, snowflake and henny penny watched in silence and were rewarded with a handful of corn.

Later in the day I opened the coop door so they could come out if they wanted too. I checked they were ok and was greeted with my very first egg. All 3 girls were snuggled in the nest boxes. After about an hour out came a hen with a very bald and sore bottom, I applied purple spray to her sores and left her to have a wonder round. It was lovely to see her doing what a hen should do, she was scratching and pecking and having a jolly old time. I named her Thelma. Later in the evening the others still hadnt come out I checked on them and sprayed their wounds. Thelma was still having a wonder round but it was going dark so I picked her up to put her to bed and she screamed. Ive never heard a chicken scream before and its not a sound id like to hear again any time soon. Im sure I didnt hurt her (I hope I didnt) but its scared me and I dont want to pick her up again until she can trust me. The other two girls are called Yolko and Shelby. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

dreamywings
Learner Laner

Re: Dreamys Eggporium - the new arrivals!

Post by dreamywings »

I woke up early this morning to find we had a light dusting of snow during the night. The wind had died down a little bit but its still bitterly cold. I opened both coop doors and henny penny, kate and snowflake all followed me into the garden for breakfast. They had warm mash which kept them occupied whilst I sorted the new girls.

Thelma greeted me at the coop door but yolko and shelby remained huddled in the corner. I gave them fresh water, mash and a warm mash with added honey. Thelma started eating immediately whilst the other two just sat their. I left them alone to see if they would venture out later in the day.

Thelma spent most of the day outside scratching and doing what obviously comes naturally to some chickens. Yolko eventually ventured out of the coop for a mooch about. She has a large bald spot on her back but is eating and drinking fine and has had a scratch about but whenever anyone comes out of the hose she darts back into the coop. Thelma has been quite a feisty and has been beak to beak with Kate through the chicken mesh. Shes a tough cookie she didnt back down and kate ran off in the opposite direction.

Shelby still hasnt left the coop, im quite worried about her and I am unsure as to whether she has been eating and drinking, I will see what she is like tomorrow and if she doesnt venture out and I dont see her eat and drink I shall put her in the cat carrier and bring her indoors so I can keep an eye on her.

Bedtime and the girls are all tucked up in bed. Hope that tomorrow brings a drier warmer day and that Shelby finds her way out doors.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Yes a lump to ones throat when you see abunch of cages girls ,they are the saddest of all the industrial chickens . Good for you and do not threat . You may need to stick some sweat corn down her throat to get her going .
Good luck to day .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm enjoying your diary dreamy. I have quite a variety of shapes & sizes of chooks
but I think the ex batts have made me smile the most. They're so curious and funny
and love life, I cant bear to think how they endured life before rescue.
I think its good for them to have a few battles with the others through the wire, then
when they eventually mix the worst of it should be already sorted out. When I got mine
the other chooks took turns to stomp up and down & shout at the exbats, but when I
let them out they were completely ignored.
I hope Shelby comes out today, she must be overwhelmed by the change. Perhaps
some nutridrops in the water would be helpful.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes, poor Shelby is probably overwhelmed. Some girls do find it harder to adapt to life out of the cages - sad to say - so do keep a close eye on her.

You probably already know this but have at least 2 and preferably 3 food and water sources available to them, spaced as far apart as possible. It's possible that Thelma as your brightest girl may assert dominance over the other 2 and that means chasing them from food or water. Especially for Shelby as she may end up being bottom hen. Same again for when you eventually introduce them to Kate, Snowflake and Henny Penny.

)wav( Welcome to the diaries - so glad you decided to start one!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I am always fascinated to read about intros as I have never done any.

It's so lovely that you have given these girls a second chance at life. I do hope Shelby starts to explore and enjoy herself soon.

Any chance of photos?
dreamywings
Learner Laner

Post by dreamywings »

48 hours of being free and Shelby still hadnt come out of the coop. I spent most of the afternoon trying to coax her out. Shelby and Thelma spent most of the day scratting about and enjoying their warm mash that I gave them for breakfast.

I went out at 4 to check on Shelby and thought id get the pet carrier and put her in it and bring her indoors for a day or 2 so I can keep an eye on her but by the time I had found the carrier Shelby was outside having a drink and some food but as soon as she saw me she ran back to safety, but at least shes been out. Hopefully tomorrow she will feeling less daunted by the outside world.

My big girls had gone to bed by 5.30 so I locked them in the shed for the night. Thelma was still outside scratting about, I think she loves her new found freedom. I had to coax her into the coop but she didnt squeal today ad let me give her a stroke.

All girls tucked up safely in bed for the night. Its gonna be a cold one I just hope theyre warm enough.

Id love to )piicy( but I dont know how x

Thanks for reading and for your lovely comments.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I am not sure if this is how everyone else does it, but I use Photobucket.

If you have not yet got a photobucket account, it is very easy. Just register with them (it's free) and start uploading photos , it is fairly self explanatory on their site, even I could do it without help!
I find the app for iPods, if you have one, even easier to use than the main site.

Once you have uploaded your photo, just copy the image code ("IMG Code" - it will start with IMG in square brackets then "http etc.." On my iPad I click a picture of chain links in the top corner of the screen to get all the various link types, then when they come up I only have to tap on the one I want to copy it). Then you paste the code straight into your Down The Lane post. When you preview, the picture should come up, so you will know if you have got it right.

Hope that helps. Looking forward to your photos! No pressure...
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh yes you must post some pics, it's amazing to look back on them in.a few months to see how much they've changed. )t'
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

What a relief to know she's eating and drinking. Now I think she needs to be left to get used to her new surroundings at her own pace. Time enough to get used to you later.

I don't think hens like strokes the way cats seem to (and some of the documentaries suggest that they get something different from it than we do). So I don't bother mine with picking them up etc. But I often find that when I'm mucking out the house they flap up to the roof or on the door to have a look at me eye-to-eye. So we have a chat.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
dreamywings
Learner Laner

Post by dreamywings »

Ive now got photobucket so this is just a trial to see if I can manage to upload some pics

[url][URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/dreamywings1/media/chickens/1236975_10152563838321302_1062537647387658731_n.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Yay it worked.............My new ex batt girls x
dreamywings
Learner Laner

Post by dreamywings »

[url][URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/dreamywings1/media/chickens/10959753_10152563837311302_8421443892556418569_n.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

This is the girls loaded into their box ready to travel to their new retirement home
dreamywings
Learner Laner

Post by dreamywings »

Been pottering about in the garden and im pleased to say that all 3 are out enjoying the sunshine

[url][URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/dreamywings1/media/chickens/10958924_10152570646876302_7294845034273434713_n.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Photos!! )c(

They all look in pretty good nick, you do see some very sad little girls sometimes in the pics of rescues. They should feather up nicely in no time at all with lots of tlc. They look very cosy and settled already. Be prepared to lose many an hour from now on as you spend all your time chicken watching )t'
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

awwww! bless their little purple bums!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant