more super bargain seeds

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
kitla
Legendary Laner

more super bargain seeds

Post by kitla »

park prom are selling off some of their seeds dead cheap again
http://www.park-promotions.co.uk/acatal ... ables.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Veg
http://www.park-promotions.co.uk/acatalog/herbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Herbs
http://www.park-promotions.co.uk/acatal ... m_content=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Flowers
I've done well with their flower seeds, I bought so many last year I'm still getting
through them!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Segaboy
Learner Laner

Re: more super bargain seeds

Post by Segaboy »

I grew beans & peas in trays expecting to plant them out in the garden. Things didn't happen as expected and they stayed there longer than I was hoping - they twizled around each other and their roots became tangled. Realising I wasn't going to get an outdoor space dug over for the, I transferred them into a bottle garden but they didn't like it much - after untwizling the stems they were very limp and sad, and I had to damage the roots to separate them into clumps. They went limp, some leaves died, but they are still alive but looking no better a week later. Given that they have some roots that are OK, will they recover or not, do you think? Is there anything I can do to help them?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: more super bargain seeds

Post by lancashire lass »

Hi Segaboy - I think it would have been better to have started a new topic with a different title as some people may not be interested in "super bargain seeds" and could miss your post.

First, welcome to Down the Lane )wav( Please could you tell us where you are as it might make a difference to the range of answers. I'm presuming you are in the UK.

Which beans are you talking about? French or Runner Beans are very frost sensitive and are not normally sown until about mid-April (from early May under cloche outdoors, depending on the weather) They can be grown in greenhouses/polytunnel if you have one and can be started off early. They do best when the weather is hot and sunny rather than a cold wet spring where they may sulk. Broad beans can be started about now in pots or direct outdoors - they don't climb so should not be tangled. To avoid damage to roots, both beans and peas should ideally be sown in individual pots rather than trays.

Peas - there are some winter hardy cultivars but again, way too soon to sow. From about mid-March for early varieties if conditions where you live are mild, main crop from about April/May.

To answer your question - given the cost of seed, I would simply bin (or compost) the seedlings and start again, preferably at a suitable time. As they are treated like annuals, it is best to encourage growth once they germinate rather than disrupt it with potting on and planting out. Personally, my crops do better when sown direct rather than starting in pots.