iceing problems

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
barkingmad
Lively Laner

iceing problems

Post by barkingmad »

Iv used this sight for lots of help with my chickens but now I need different help.
I am trying my hand at decorating cakes but I.m having a nightmear with the food colouring. Am I doing something wrong.
Red needed but I can only get pink using the whole bottle of food dye {cry}

Also same with Black can't even get it close...dull grey

Can some one help me please }hairout{

Thank you
tosca100
Lively Laner

Re: iceing problems

Post by tosca100 »

The clue is in 'bottle' I think. You are better using paste or powder, I think most big supermarkets do paste or even gel these days but I'm a bit out of touch. For red 'Christmas' red is best. Alternatively you can get sugar paste already coloured and icing in tubes. Supermarkets, Hobbycraft and Lakeland both do it, and there is the internet too.

Have fun, great hobby
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Yep, I gave up on liquid food colouring a while ago. I buy the Wilton ones from Lakeland (but also sell them in Hobbycraft) and they're excellent. You only need a tiny amount - I dip a bamboo skewer in and that is normally enough to decorate 6 cupcakes )t'

P.S - I think they're changing the packaging so all are reduced in Lakeland at the moment (I feel a shopping trip coming on to add to my colours!)
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Aargh! I was right near Lakeland today!!! }hairout{

I agree, the pastes are the only way to go )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

Wilton or Americolor gels are better to dye the icing ...BUT...red and black icing are hard to get a good colour on so I have to be honest when I use them I buy pre-made red/black icing....depends on the amount of the colour you need...if it's a small amount then the paste/gel is great if it's a larger amount then I'd buy pre-made.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny