Solar Kiln

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
manda

Solar Kiln

Post by manda »

I don't know if anyone has looked into these but my husband has been looking into making one for some time now.
The kiln will be filled with wood and it supposedly will dry green wood in 4-6 weeks - depends on how warm the weather is.
The beginnings of the solar kiln......
There will be doors put in this gap

It has another side on it now....
We will put some clear plastic roofing on and it will have a fan to create an airflow (looking at something solar powered so we can put the kiln anywhere)...will keep you posted on how it goes....we're trying to do it as cheaply as possible..so far the materials have been free (we like this!!) but will put pics as it develops :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
p.penn

Re: Solar Kiln

Post by p.penn »

Looks a great idea Manda, especially if you can get a solar fan too )like(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sounds interesting, but I have never heard of it.

I will watch this with interest, thanks, Manda.
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Sounds really interesting, and definitely keen to watch progress M, as not seen this before. C )like(
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Looks fabulous, what a great idea )like(
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

You could get extra heat and an airflow if you saved up your drinks cans and made them into a solar heater on one side.
The basic idea is to cut the bottoms out and cut the tops into fins then stack them end to end in columns and paint them black.
The cool air should be drawn in at the bottom and heat up as it rises coming out the top a lot warmer.
Just a thought )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
manda

Post by manda »

I will tell his nibs ..cheers Dom :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny