HAVING A WOODBURNER?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: HAVING A WOODBURNER?

Post by Totally Scrambled »

FR,
Space isn't the issue as the room is more than big enough, it's the feasibility of siting it.
Putting it in the cooker hole would be OK as far as putting the flue up the existing chimney but would mean re-routing all the gas and completely remodelling the whole kitchen layout.
Where I would like to put it would back onto a stud wall so it would need heat proofing and the flue would have to go out through the roof which is single storey. I know neither of these problems is difficult to deal with And know roughly what the cost of this work would be from builders but the question of draw for the stove would need an expert to assess with the possibility that the flue would have to nearly or completely top the ridge line of the rest of the house.
So far no one has been willing to advise on this one way or the other without coming to assess things for which they want the best part of £100. They will of course knock this amount off the cost of buying/fitting should it be possible but if it isn't I've lost £100.
I guess I'll just keep trying companies in a widening spiral from where I live in the hope someone can provide advice without charging for the priviledge.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Wow, I never knew they charged!

Think we must have been lucky as we stumbled onto a small dad and son shop in Selby called Housewarming (they have a website, but no idea what it is) and they not only sold me a wood burner there and then but were happy to barter, gave fair advice and have since sold me two more burners with equally good service. We have them in the current house, one rental and already have one sat in the new house ready to put in once I know how the chimney needs altering to look nice. A good place to buy things is 90% of the battle when it comes to things like burners I think )t'
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Not sure if this will help Dom, gives heights of flues for sloped or flat roofs!.

http://www.hetas.co.uk/wp-content/media ... -12-12.pdf
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
whelp
Learner Laner

Post by whelp »

I have a wood burner in my dining room. cost £185 inc delivery off ebay. the fireplace was £50 for solid wood off ebay (I had to assemble it) and me and my father in law fitted it ourselves.

there is also a sheet of steel above the hole on the fireplace for the flue to go up into. the steel cost £24 and the flue was £15. I have never (and never intend to) paid for wood as I seem to 'acquire' it from various folks I know. there were also 2 cubic metres of coal left at the house by the previous owner so that gets burned as well, I still have over 1/2 of it left but once its gone I won't buy more.

I have seen the prices people pay for log burners and its madness! ive seen some for sale at over £2k! you'll never make your money back at that rate!

in the summer I intend to fit another burner in my front room. you can't go wrong with free heat.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We have a multifuel in our kitchen/living room. I love it. We buy some logs when we see them at a good price, but have only just stared on last year's so have all of the ones bought last summer seasoning ready for next year. I collect wood when out and about and the couple doing up a cottage across the road have given us off cuts and broken pallets.

The plan for spring of this year is to replace the open fire in one of the sitting rooms. Most of the heat goes up the chimney so clearly we need to do something about it.

We've thought about changing the heating system, but with the burner and a new efficient boiler for the gas central heating it doesn't make too much sense to rejig everything at this stage.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes the heat goes up the chimney, but I've noticed when we've had power cuts, that the bedroom with the chimney breast in it benefits from the fact that the brickwork is warmed on the way. A giant storage heater.
Does your multifuel need electricity.
Do you use the open fire often, if you have central heating? You can use logs on a normal open fire grate - we do.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

I've just seen this thread and I'm intrigued.

We've been thinking of replacing the old gas fire and back boiler with a log burner but have been put off a bit buy the amount of people saying how expensive it is to have fitted. Also I've heard quite a lot of conflicting advice regarding the rules and regs around having one put in.

Overall I guess you'd all say its worth the investment though?
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Absolutely worth it )like(

I have no idea what the regs are (and frankly don't care) as we fitted the last two we bought ourselves and plan to fit the next one, which is already sitting in the new house's lounge awaiting it's turn. We buy all the gear and firebox from a local small family business (barter, you'll get loads off!) and from there it's easy. You'd be an idiot not to have fire and carbon monoxide meters anyway, so just make sure you use them and keep the batteries/power right.

From then it's just a matter of maintaining the box yearly. New rope seal on the door, etc. and having the sweep in annually.

Oh, and get the other half a good chainsaw, safety gear and a day or two training )w(
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
addseo1234
Learner Laner

Post by addseo1234 »

ClareM wrote:I like the idea of using the ash for the chooks to dustbathe in.....do you need to sieve it / prepare it in any way or just cool & add to their dustbathing area?

great idea . )like(