Pixie's Chix!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Re: Pixie's Chix!

Post by PixieDust »

Pleased to report that sniffles have improved with ACV and garlic. Also initial olive oil, much massaging and live yoghurt and what could have been a nasty case of sour crop has been averted >fi< Lily's crop was empty this morning )like(
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Pixie

It's good to hear you've sorted Lily's crop - sour crop is awful, it took one of my girls last year (my little Captain Gabby) in spite of me tipping and massaging.

And glad to hear the Pobs are less sniffly as well )t'

Chicken keeping is a rollercoaster ride, nobody ever warns you about that!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Well they have been on ACV and garlic about a week now so I might try to get them off of the ACV. Is it ok to keep the garlic going?

No eggs from Winnie or Lily today but checked everyone's crop in the mornings and they are clear and flat.

I will upload a lovely little film of them helping me to clean the litter tray, tomorrow.

Doggie gone a bit backwards today and got too over excited so had to sit on the bench with me. Slow progress but we will succeed!!!

Nothing much else to report.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Three lovely eggs today. Light pastel pink from my lovely Winnie, a plum blush from Miss Pix and a huge speckled brown egg from Lady Lily.

I can't express the how special the moments with them are, especially Winnie. So calm and loves just being held. Chats away to me constantly. +f+
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Oops forgot to post the film:

Plus look at the size of this egg from Lily! 100g!

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

OOh looks like a double yolker! Don't give it away to anyone - have it yourself )t'

My Casper sometimes lays double yolkers, they are lovely. Well done that Lily!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

It was a double yolker! I have pictures but need to upload them.

Interesting update re the seller. I never heard from him after I told him I was having Pob PTS. However, being a little nosey, I looked on his website the other day and it appears that although the hybrids and egg sales were the mainstay of his business, due to various reasons he will no longer sell them and will concentrate on pure breeds and bantams.

Maybe I was one in a line of customers with sick birds?

Pobs all ok. They seem to sneeze more in cold weather. We get the odd bit of upset tum occasionally but all doing well.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Very angry at myself today.

I went out last night to give them some corn and to lock up, but it was still quite light and I intended to go back out and shut the pop hole and take in the water and food.

I forgot.

I also woke quite late this morning and was stunned to find them poodling about the run. They seemed to tell me off as the water had all but run out and they needed some pellets topping up. But they were also very cold feeling. Their combs and wattles were cold, but not blue.

They got an extra treat of a little mixed corn this morning as I felt so bad. They seemed to warm up a bit and carried on as normal.

They are shut away snugly tonight :-D
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I discovered last week that my automatic pop hole had different settings for each day and the blooming door has been coming down at 4.30pm even though I'd changed the main setting to 5.15pm so last week on the night when we had freezing cold weather and snow, the girls had been locked out now the nights are getting lighter. They were fine, they all just snuggle up together. I'm sure they appreciated getting back into heir coop that night though.

The main thing is to make sure they have a safe run so that if it happens again (we all forget things from time to time, or auto door openers fail) they won't be in any danger.

How are the Pobs doing?
Karen
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Pobs good. Had their first tomato today. Kept them very quiet.

I am still working with mad Spaniel. He was playing find and fetch with tasty treats today but he kept going off to the pen and running back and forth barking. Pobs not worried about him. He just wants to play but the relentless barking gets on my nerves at the moment. We fell out :?

However I tried something radical. I got so frustrated I picked him up and took him in the Walk-in-Run with me. Sat him on the coop roof whilst holding him and just observed. He was rather transfixed but the Pobs came up and sat near him on the roof. He coped quite well but he still ran round the outside of the Walk-in-Run afterwards barking but it had improved. This is the first proper day I have been able to let him run free in the garden for a good length of time, so although it wasn't great he wasn't too bad. Please note I will NEVER let him run around with them free ranging or Let him run in the Walk-in-Run.

The chickens excite him so much he needs to be so desensitised in various ways. On the plus side he has slept since 4pm only waking to go for a wee twice, eat his dinner and come up to bed.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Pobs doing well, though they got a bit spooked by the rake yesterday.

I have a behaviourist from my course coming in a few weeks to give me an "outsiders eye" with mad Spaniel. It's like anything, sometimes you need a fresh set of eyes to see something which you are missing.

Today is a milestone of sorts. I shall be picking up my third bale of Aubiose since getting Pobs and only my second 20kg bag of pellets. One bag lasted 13 weeks and they have not gone short! It has cost just 90p per week and I am using Marriages, would be less if I used a cheaper brand.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Glad to read your'POBS' are all well )t' I dog walk a spaniel who needs help too, tries to leap out in front of cars yike* Be interested to hear what they say…...
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

So sorry for not updating you sooner. Been extremely busy.

Spaniel can now run around the garden with a training lead on. Although the lead is on, he has full freedom of the garden. He has to sniff out treats which I scatter feed around the garden and this keeps him occupied for ages. During this time he totally ignores the girls.

Today we also are starting on him sitting in his bed in the garden in a down/stay whilst I am walking over to the run. He stays.

The problem comes when I have run out of treats and then he will sometimes just gently visit the Pobs and at others races over and starts barking and scrabbling at the wire. That is where the training line comes in - pull him away and remove him from the stimulus.

This new regime has only been in place for a week so to be fair he is improving greatly. Can't seem to find a way to stop him barking and howling the house down when I go out to clean the Pobs though. >dum<

Pobs seem to have settled very well. Winnie is still Miss Chattery and loves her cuddles. Lily is getting quite friendly too and is more comfortable with being cuddled. Pixie is now also showing signs of being a tad settled when I pick her up. I refer to Pixie as 'Queen of the Greens' as she will devour any greens she can.

I am not sure of my flock dynamic really. Winnie jumps on everyone to get food but Pixie does tell her off for doing so. Lily and Winnie seem to be partners in crime, but Lily will spend time with Pixie too. There is no real fighting, though I suspect Winnie pushes her luck at times. They work as a team with the treat ball.

All a bit odd as Winnie was the bottom of the pecking order when Autumn was alive, and Pixie and Autumn seemed joint top. Now Winnie and Lily leap out of the coop together, almost knocking each other over and Pixie wanders out behind.

Feel a bit sorry for her to be honest. {cry}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Great to have a Pob update! And your spaniel sounds like he's coming on really well - what's his name?

Don't feel sorry for Pixie, I'm sure they are all absolutely fine. 3 is an odd number and it's tempting to think that one's on their own - in my case, it's Tigger - but they usually knock about as a bunch most of the time and seem happy enough and I'm sure your Pobs are the same. Maybe Pixie just wants a bit of peace and quiet every now and then! Mine don't work as a team at all with the treat ball though - it's very definitely Casper's property, so you're lucky to have such a co-operative lot )t'
Karen
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Long, long time since I updated you all.

Things have moved along quite smoothly til about 10-12 days ago. Winnie, the Columbine, stopped laying and was very subdued and huddled over. Left her for a couple of days and decided to give her a sitz bath after 4 days. She was sitting on the run floor for hours at a time. Out came a 2.5" long piece of what looked like cooked egg white the next day:

So off to the vets we went with what appeared to bed an egg bound hen. He gave her an internal exam and said he could feel a softy. He gave her a Calcium injection and said the softy should appear within 24-48hrs.

It never did, or at least not that I saw.

I gave her further sitz baths and hoped I didn't wake to find a dead Winnie.

Today this happened:

Yay! Well done Winnie!

And a couple of shots of my girls FRing: