Protect the Bees, whats in your bugspray?

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
kitla
Legendary Laner

Protect the Bees, whats in your bugspray?

Post by kitla »

I was reading an article about Bees and neonicotinoids pesticides which referred to
sprays used in gardens, I had only thought about this being in the commercial
pesticides! So I found some lists of garden centre products that contained this chemical.
Some of these may have changed their ingredients now, or may have been banned altogether. I'm not certain if neonicinoids have been completely banned yet. But lots of folk (me included) probably have very old bottles of Roseclear etc on the shelf, so check before you use them!
This is the advice from the Soil Association -
..."If you're buying any kind of pest control check the ingredients – anything that contains acetamiprid, imidacloprid, thiacloprid or thiamethoxam should be avoided"...

http://www.soilassociation.org/keepbrit ... pesticides" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pan-uk.org/home-garden/list- ... icotinoids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Re: Protect the Bees, whats in your bugspray?

Post by manda »

I don't use sprays much but if anything needs spraying I use soapnuts.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I rarely use sprays either Manda, hence I may have some very old ones somewhere!
I have some soap nuts somewhere, my sister sent them to me from Aus. I had no
idea I could use them on plants! If I put one in a spray bottle will it help get rid of
aphids? maybe even scaly bugs?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

Ratio of 1 Tablespoon of Soapnuts liquid to a cup of water ..spray it on and let it air dry )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thank you kitla, interesting reading.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome