Sewing imbecile needs advice please.

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Sewing imbecile needs advice please.

Post by HazellB »

I've sort of (ish) mastered the sewing machine now. Made some curtains, altered and lined some more very heavy curtains and made countless beds/quilts/cushions for the dogs to match our new house.
Basically I'm a total novice with a sewing machine fit for a king. (So it's far too good for me) {rofwl}
It's a Husqvana Sapphire Quilt by the way.

Next I have a simple shirt pattern from the 2013 Sewing Bee book to try.
Then (drum roll) I'd like to make a flat cap.

Anyone made a flat cap?
Is it beyond me do you think?
Or should I stick to the basics for a while?
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
p.penn

Re: Sewing imbecile needs advice please.

Post by p.penn »

Not made one myself, but I wouldn't imagine that a flat cap would be too complicated - just stiffening the peak bit would be different I guess. Although I havent made clothes for years, I found it always depended on the clarity of the instructions, and tended to go for the same make of pattern.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

That's interesting, and something I hadn't thought about at all - pattern makes.

I tend to knit from one specific designer and a few similar to her in style, so why not sew from one brand too? The flat cap pattern is Vogue, but as I haven't bought it yet have no idea how it's set out.

Everyone else's favourite brands or designers?
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Bearing in mind that I haven't bought a sewing pattern for about 40 years, at the time Vogue were no 1 stylish but complicated, Simplicity were easy but more basic, and Style could go either way! I usually opted for simplicity!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I made a dress from a Vogue pattern years ago. The neckline was really difficult, but I wore the dress for years. Simplicity or Butterick were the hot favourites when I was in my late teens and twenties. In those days I made all my own clothes, apart from coats. This morning I have mended the hem on OH's trousers, and had great difficulty threading the needle!

All the best with your cap, Hazel.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

If you search for flat cap pattern on Google or whatever search engine you use, quite a few come up.
One interesting one was on. Youtube. When on the site, in the search box put DIY How to sew a flat cap and the video shows you how.
Also http://www.craftsy.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a pattern for a nice newsboy cap.

Hope you eventually find what you want. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.