Angora Goats

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
manda

Angora Goats

Post by manda »

Soooo......I have happily and by complete accident, started a new relationship with some forever additions to our family.
A friend of mine in NZ has gone back to the UK and whilst most of the herd are planned to be sold some are going to be staying with us )c(
Never has Angora's before but am looking forward to learning as much as I can about them ...there are a lot of similarities to the Gotland's so I have a bit of a head start but I know nothing about their wool and it's quality etc but it will be good to learn something new and look forward to spinning with Mohair and (when I get my look up and going) weaving with it.
We are keeping (so far )grin2( ) Bobby (who is a poor little bod who was abandonned when he was a baby and so has never really amounted to anything, although he has never realised that and has the sweetest nature. Leonard who is the loveliest wether and very handsome, Beau who will be the buck for the future and Beauty who is a gentle soul and possibly pregnant....and one other undecided as yet but it will be a little doe.....I think I might be just a bit in love already - the Gotland's are not so sure (Barbara has been particularly grumpy at the new additions but hasn't actually caused any scenes so far >fi< )
ImageImage
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Re: Angora Goats

Post by urbanchicks »

They are gorgeous Manda, are you going to breed from them?

Maggie )like(
wendy

Post by wendy »

envy}} look forward to hearing how you get on with them.
Lucky you
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
manda

Post by manda »

urbanchicks wrote:They are gorgeous Manda, are you going to breed from them?

Maggie )like(

Beauty may already be pregnant (unusually out of season for an Angora)....not sure. If she is then hopefully at least one will be a doe as Beau isn't related. I will in the long run breed mainly because the Mohair will pay for their keep per year if I sell it and if not I will get the use of the fleeces for my own needs.
They are also good for clearing land so if we build our own house in the near future (that's another thread {rofwl} ) then they will be great to go as a herd for that too (they are great for clearing gorse which some of the cheaper blocks have in abundance).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

You have probably already seen this Manda, but thought I would put the link on, if
you're interested! )t'

Hope you are well recovered now! )t' {hug}

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/crafts-and-na ... 14912.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
manda

Post by manda »

I hadn't seen that SB....I've book marked it as I'm collecting info about them....even Bobby (my little underachiever) produces about 6kgs of fleece a year and the current price is around $11.50 per kg so he will pay for his feet care if nothing else )grin2(

I'm slowly recovering ...still on IV antibiotics but hopefully for not too much longer ....bit over that to be honest but at least I'm breathing and so that overrides everything :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Oh how cute they are! Lucky, lucky you )like(
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
manda

Post by manda »

We went out today andlook what hopped into the trailer and went home with us )grin2( ...two new ladies for Beau to lavish his affections on next month as he only has one doe at the moment...so introducing Aysun (left and I used the name of a Turkish friend of ours) and Bella who was already named and knows her name...so I'm considering looking at Turkish names that sound similar...I like to try and stick with name of their place of origin of the breed (although I know these were born in NZ)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Nice looking critters but I bet they won't stay that colour for long :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
manda

Post by manda »

Weirdly enough they stay remarkably clean (haven't got a clue how they do it but if we could tap into the secret it would save a fortune on washing powder !!)

The solar kiln is being put temporarily on hold though as I need more goat shelter...they don't have Lanolin in their fleeces (so they're not very waterproof) and they don't have an underlying layer of fat under their skin (so they don't have much insulation)...actually they're a rather high maintenance ...the Gotlands are peasy easy by comparison :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

You need to update your signature or the goats will think you don't love them )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
manda

Post by manda »

I Have to attend to that ...I thought about it last night but I got tired and went to bed instead ...I'm a neglectful goat mummy yike*
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Awwww, I love love love them! Brilliant 'get well' therapy Manda!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Lovely looking girls Manda and great to have a new interest. )like(
What will you do with their fleeces when they are eventually shorn? My daughter in law has 5 alpacas and has now learned to spin their wool. She just has to find the time to do it! I imagine that angora is treated the same, or am I wrong?
Yet another string to your bow. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
manda

Post by manda »

They have been great get well therapy Jem...they are very gentle (well except at the moment as we're heading towards breeding season so the hormones are rife and there is much waving around of horns (even Barbara is wary of them and she'll take on anything )grin2( )...but generally they are more gentle than the sheep as a whole and equally as open to bribes with pellets so makes them easier to handle.

June - yes initially I plan on selling the better fleeces as this pays for their foot care and feed for the year...the rest I will clean and card and eventually spin (similarly time is always the factor).....I've also got a loom which once I suss things out and get it going I'd like to try my hand at weaving ...but that's a future thing for sure.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda