Wanted special pet cockerel

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
kitla
Legendary Laner

Wanted special pet cockerel

Post by kitla »

We are devastated that our beloved cockerel Smidge is dying. We've decided we'd
like another cockerel but it will be hard to fill Smidge's shoes, we will be quite
picky. I could get a couple of hatching eggs for my broody & hope to get a boy,
I could go to any breeder & save one of the boys due to be culled, I could go to
a rescue & get one, or...I could save someone's beloved pet cockerel that they're
being forced to rehome (been there myself). This is our favourite idea, if anyone
has one or hears of one please let me know.
I have 9 hens, the smallest is a Pekin, the largest an Orpington. A very small
boy could hurt the big hens (pulls their combs), A large boy could hurt the pekin.
so I'm looking for a large bantam (Orpington, brahma, faveroll etc) or similar size
Used to and ok with being handled, used to dogs - my dog is elderly & I don't want
her being attacked. He will be very spoiled and have a 99% free range home.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Wanted special pet cockerel

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,I have a number of cockeral s you could have one but Will not be up noth ( Notts till 29.03.15 Do not want to lose any but they were rescue and a good home would be good for one . Have a large dark brown and duck green back , Same as parker , smaller ( younger ) . Lav and a multi coloured white and brown . They have my girls and I understand the neck pulling is a bit of a problem . But the big girls chase them away unless the are ready for ?????
If you would like one I am sure I could arrange transport /delivery. If you get a better /local cockeral then do not worry as I do not have to get rid of them . Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Thanks for the offer Bob, very kind, but what we really would like to do is wait
until we find someone that is being forced to rehome their pet cockerel.
We were in that situation some years ago and I know how heartbreaking it is.
We'll take our time until the right one comes along.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,no problem ,I know a landy at fresh start for hens ( vander ) she takes in cockerels and has lots should you want a special one .It is where I got mine from.
Bob
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Oh Kitty so sorry to hear about Smidge {cry}
I'm sure you will find just the right boy in time and a happy lityle chap he'll be in your garden {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Marina
Learner Laner

Post by Marina »

Hi

I have three beautiful cockerels that I would like to re home. I bred last spring when my hens went broody as I already have a cockerel. Sadly three of the chicks have turned into cockerels and are now at an age where I can no longer keep them all together. I would like to see them go to happy homes (1 x cream leg bar, 2 x well summer, cream leg bar cross). I can't bear to take them to market where they will certainly be killed!

They are all used to dogs!

Let me know if you think one could replace your beloved Smidge. I have that one to come yet as my original cockerel is 8yrs and adorable and likes me to feed him by hand as I reared him from an egg too!

Many thanks
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Thanks Marina, I'm not too sure about temperament or size of legbar cockerels,not one
I'm familiar with. I need a boy that's ok being held & is safe with children (my friend's
3 y/o grandson likes to come & see the chick chocks!) Are your boys like this?
What area are you? If you're not far I could come & meet them & see if they're
suitable.
There are other places to try before sending them to market though. There's a
facebook group called cockerel trader, you could try preloved so you get some idea where they're going before you let them go, there are also a couple of cockerel
rehomers on preloved. They may not actually rehome them all but at least they'd
have a chance. Anyone could get them at a market & they may end up as cockfight fodder.
--Immanuel Kant