Seedy problem solved

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Seedy problem solved

Post by Meanqueen »

I've been wanting to include more seeds and nuts in my diet, but struggle to eat them whole due to lack of molars on the lower jaw. I don't want to put any more pressure on my remaining teeth, I would like to hang onto them, so I need to grind the food in another way. If I add seeds to my food, they seem to go right through me and emerge intact at the other end. Not much point in that then.

I have a stick blender which is good for chopping raw and cooked vegetables and fruit to make smoothies and soup. I have a food processor to make larger quantities of soup to freeze in portions, and to make peanut butter. Neither of these gizmo's are suitable for grinding small quantities of nuts and seeds. I have a pestle and mortar but it makes my wrist ache and the seeds jump out all over the place.

I have treated myself to a mini Kenwood processor that is just right for the job. I tried linseeds in it, perfect, it grinds them to almost a powder. It grinds small quantities of nuts. I'm going to be buying more seeds from now on, now I know this works. Anyone else have one of these handy little gadgets, what do you use it for?
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Seedy problem solved

Post by HedgeHugger »

I've got a grinder attachment for my food processor. Recently I've been grinding coffee beans in it.
I have made tahini (sesame seeds) in it. I've also used it for peanut butter and almond butter.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thanks for that. I might have an attachment which grinds, for the big food processor. Never tried all the bits. Mind you I don't need to grind large quantities. The small plastic bowl with the mini processor is handy for putting in the fridge.
Ilona
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

I have a Kenwood Chef for bread and cakes, which has a blender goblet somewhere, a medium size processor for mayo, breadcrumbs, chopping onions etc for chutneys, and slicing onions for freezing, grating large amounts. Then a stick blender for soups with two bowls, a small one for nuts and the like and a larger one for very fine chopping like herbs, or just a few breadcrumbs. And a mixer for everyday stuff like beating eggs for custards etc (hand whisk is useless for duck eggs) and icing. All these are really useful as I have arthritis in my hands and wrists.

How did I ever manage with just a hand mixer? {rofwl}
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/