Salmon

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
manda

Salmon

Post by manda »

My husband caught a 7lb 4 oz Salmon the other evening
so we thought we'd get as much out of it as we could...so the Roe ....
2 ways...Hot Smoked and as Salmon Roe "Caviar"

Fish stock...

and finally I took a teaspoon and scraped the bones so I could get as much flesh off as possible...I got just under 500g (I was really surprised actually how much there was)
so we had fishcakes for tea tonight...

All in all feel like we got a lot out of it :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Sara

Re: Salmon

Post by Sara »

envy}}

I love salmon, and the roe... Miam! )eat( )eat(
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

That's amazing! Where do you get your energy from? )like(

It would have been just wrapped in foil and oven baked here!! :oops:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Love salmon baked in oven or steamed with new potatoes. Don't like smoked salmon at all.
manda

Post by manda »

I didn't do anything else Helen {rofwl}

Today hubby took it out of the fridge
and then it went into the cold smoker

which is an old wine barrel

Hubby will take it out soon (I think I'm going to have to go to bed before though...so will see it in the morning).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Clever OH for catching the salmon in the first place, and clever you for your resourcefulness.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

How resourceful you are Manda. It all looks so good. )like(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
manda

Post by manda »

It came out of the smoker last night...this morning it looks just like it did when it went in to the smoker...it's kept a lovely colour ...We've had a taste and it is lovely but as we've found out before it'll be better in a couple of days one the smoke mellows.

June...we just like to use as much of everything as we can ..can't stand waste.

This morning a friend of ours did 2 sheep for the freezer so I spent a little time cleaning sheep intestines (because my life is THAT glamorous {rofwl} )....we need sausage casings and they are expensive so this way we're able to follow that everything from the nose to the tail philosophy.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm curious! How does the smoker work? And is that different from the hot smoking you mentioned for the roe? (fascinating!)

And - whilst I'm curious - what will you do with the roe? Eat it like caviar or are there other things you can do with it?

I'm extremely jealous of your lifestyle Manda, I'd love to be living the Good Life (too much time watching it when I was younger I reckon, and I'm no Felicity Kendal!) And double jealous of you living in New Zealand, a country which I love.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
manda

Post by manda »

KarenE wrote:I'm curious! How does the smoker work? And is that different from the hot smoking you mentioned for the roe? (fascinating!)

Yes the cold smoker doesn't cook the fish so there is no heat as such except the small amount that creates the smoke... it just sends smoke into the smoker (wine barrel in our case) - the metal cylinder on the sidegets filled with small wood chips of whatever smoke you're wanting to do and then there's a small pump which blows thesmoke through....The fish is cured with the salt and then the smoke adheres to the pellicule (which is a sticky film you get on the fish when it dries)....after a couple of days the smoke kind of seeps into the fish flesh and mellows.
So we cold smoke things like Salmon (hubby likes Eel cold smoked...I prefer it hot smoked), garlic, cheese etc

The hot smoker fills the smoker with smoke but also heat so you cook the food as you smoke it.....so hot smoked Salmon, Trout (which you can't buy in NZ ...you can only eat what you catch) and Eel (we have lots of eels in the water races around us so we often go out and get a couple for tea).

KarenE wrote:And - whilst I'm curious - what will you do with the roe? Eat it like caviar or are there other things you can do with it?

The "caviar" style roe ...yes you eat just like caviar...it's nice with scrambled eggs apparently (something I'm going to try over Easter) or sprinkle a little across a salad. The hot smoked roe you would have on Crostini or something like that

KarenE wrote:I'm extremely jealous of your lifestyle Manda, I'd love to be living the Good Life (too much time watching it when I was younger I reckon, and I'm no Felicity Kendal!) And double jealous of you living in New Zealand, a country which I love.

I think I watched too much of the Good Life when I was a kid as well...it is a good life but it's a hard life at times as well....mind you I can't imagine living any other way now...although I must admit yesterday when I was cleaning out sheep intestines to make sausage casings I did wonder how my life had become so glam {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

That's really interesting, thanks. I like the idea of the cold smoker. Might have to see if my inventive hubby can rig something up, I bet you can do something similar with tins/containers.
I like the idea of smoking cheese and garlic. I also like the idea of making cheese and butter but haven't got round to trying that yet!

Yes, I don't remember Barbara Good making her own sausage casings! :-D
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Does OH catch the salmon in fresh water on a fly, or net them in the river or river mouth? I never really spent much time fishing the South Island as the rivers were mostly too wide, too deep and too fast compared to my area of the central plateau around Taupo.

Another use for the roe is to catch more salmon or trout. If you are having a poor day but get one hen fish who offers some eggs it gets the fish feeding in a frenzy - eggs are their very favourite food.

All highly illegal and unsporting but I have seen the trout guides do it many times - the foreign tourist doesn't notice the guide taking slightly longer to refresh the fish and release it when in fact he is gently stripping the eggs out- most short term tourists don't want to kill their trout as they are moving on or have no need for it or simply believe in catch and release. The trout from the crystal clear rivers around Taupo taste of little and one soon tires of them so one day you might catch and release 20 big trout and the next day drive 2 hours to the coast and get some snapper or kingfish - they don't go back!

I still miss the place.

Cheers
manda

Post by manda »

chookmike wrote:Does OH catch the salmon in fresh water on a fly, or net them in the river or river mouth? I never really spent much time fishing the South Island as the rivers were mostly too wide, too deep and too fast compared to my area of the central plateau around Taupo.

He quite often starts towards the mouth of the river but then he usually wades upstream and on occasions starts there and then searches the holes in the river where they're laying up...the river nearest to us is the Waimakariri and it's a very wide braided river. He only ever uses a rod (no nets)...sometimes with trout he'll catch and release that depends very much on the fish and the fishing.

Another use for the roe is to catch more salmon or trout. If you are having a poor day but get one hen fish who offers some eggs it gets the fish feeding in a frenzy - eggs are their very favourite food.

Mmm seems a waste to me ...OH won't bring home more than 2 at any one time (if he's lucky Salmon but the same with Trout) as he thinks that's quite enough for a feed...so supplies are limited... I'd rather eat them )grin2(

When we lived on the North Island we used to go up to Taupo quite often ...OH loves the fishing around Tauranga .... it's different fishing in the South but he loves it because it's fishing and he has more hunting nearby too......NZ is a special place :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

What does he hunt? I don't remember much in the way of game over there. Deer? Rabbits and possums?
Karen
manda

Post by manda »

Deer and Wapiti Cross deer (they are huge!) near to us but they're all over NZ, Chamois and Tahr ( Himalayan Mountain Goat ..NZ has a large population) down South but they are very elusive and go up high on the tops.
Rabbits, pigeons, hares, duck (first weekend of next month is opening day so there's a whole bunch of them planning at the moment ...they're getting so excited...anyone would think it was Christmas {rofwl} )

They're planning on going Wallaby hunting later in the year (not sure what I'm going to do with Wallaby but apparently it can be nice casseroled).

We have quite a lot of game of varying kinds in our diet.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda