Sparrowhawk, the moral dilemma

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
kitla
Legendary Laner

Sparrowhawk, the moral dilemma

Post by kitla »

20 feet from my window we have a weeping pear tree next to our bird table. The
little birds love being amongst it's mish mash of tangled branches, where they feel
safe. Its regularly a haven to sparrows, finches, starlings, blackbirds, robins, all
taking turns to hop on the bird table. This morning I heard a bird screaming & guessed
it was a couple having a scrap as usual, but was shocked to see a sparrowhawk
grappling with a screaming starling at the top of the tree. I rushed out and chased
it away! feeling protective over "my birds". The starling flew away, I hope he's ok.
Then I thought - that sparrowhawk probably has young to feed & will now go and
kill another bird in someone else's garden. DH said I shouldn't have interfered,
what would others have done?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Sparrowhawk, the moral dilemma

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I have to admit I'd have let them be.
The hawk has done the sensible thing and found somewhere it's prey congregate on a regular basis.
You have provided a feeding place to help the birdies but it doubles as a preditors buffet as well.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I've seen a sparrowhawk go for a bird at that tree before, but it couldn't get through
the mesh of small twigs. Generally little birds are safe in the "cage" it creates. But
not if they perch on the outside branches!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Tough one that. I think I would probably have done the same as you, instinctively, but that is probably not the right thing to do. Although I suspect I'd probably be too stunned to move quickly enough!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
wendy

Post by wendy »

I would let it go also.
It possibly mortally wounded the Starling and would now go and catch another, sadly.
I know they have to eat, but I would rather they didn't dine in my garden !.
I have a Peregrine Falcon eats in mine {cry}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I would also leave alone - but understand it's hard to watch.

Last week I was walking in the field and I suddenly saw something drop out of a tree no more than 20 feet from me.

I quickly turned pointed camera and took a photo, no time to set camera etc.

It was a Sparrowhawk taking a Thrush. I caught it as it was taking off. Quite a picture but not for Forum maybe.

Law of the Jungle. Many of the endangered species birds are those who rely on killing for food.
Nature has it there should be enough to go round.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Definitely leave them to it, though I admit it's not nice in your own garden. But yes, they have to eat and they are part of the eco system, stunning birds.

Though I have to admit I have mixed feelings when they perch in our walnut tree in the chicken pens when we have chicks.....
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well Karen, it looks like you and I are the softies of the bunch! I've thought about
it & I've decided that if I allow the sparrowhawk to hunt unopposed by my bird
feeders it will be coming back every day, as Dom suggests I would be in effect
feeding it. Then I will feel forced to stop feeding the birds - which is something I enjoy. So although I may cringe but let it happen somewhere else, I don't regret protecting "my birds" in my space and I think I will carry on doing so.
--Immanuel Kant