Silly hanging basket query!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Silly hanging basket query!

Post by jemberelli »

Once again I am back with a gardening question! Having just moved house I have missed the boat on sowing veggie seeds and preparing beds adequately so this year is going to be a make-do year!

I have ordered some tumbling tomato plants and have bought a wicker hanging basket. It is lined with plastic. Do I need to pierce the plastic for drainage or do I leave it intact? I also bought one of those coir liners - do I need this or just put soil straight on top of the plastic liner? I have never had a hanging basket before so it's all new to me >dum<
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
p.penn

Re: Silly hanging basket query!

Post by p.penn »

I would put a few holes on the plastic for drainage, and no, you don't need another liner. Tumbling toms grow well in baskets, but don't forget they will need plenty of water (twice a day in hot weather) plus regular tomato food
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks Helen {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

As Helen said!

By the way I don't think you've missed the boat for sowing at all, and if you can dig over the beds and maybe add some compost in (depending on what your soil's like) then you should be fine. I just sowed last weekend, including tumbling tom seeds, and I'm already starting to get a few shoots coming up. It's definitely worth sowing a few seeds if you really want to give it a go )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks Karen, I have popped a few dwarf beans into a pot with a little wigwam in the hope that they come through and also some free tomato seeds I was sent and a few chillis too - fingers crossed!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm saving my runner beans, it can be frosty quite late in Cheshire.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

jemberelli wrote:Once again I am back with a gardening question! Having just moved house I have missed the boat on sowing veggie seeds and preparing beds adequately so this year is going to be a make-do year!

I have ordered some tumbling tomato plants and have bought a wicker hanging basket. It is lined with plastic. Do I need to pierce the plastic for drainage or do I leave it intact? I also bought one of those coir liners - do I need this or just put soil straight on top of the plastic liner? I have never had a hanging basket before so it's all new to me >dum<

Hiya jem hope you settling in ok ,Karen is right loads of time yet to sow things ,my runners not in yet ,sweetcorn not in yet ,parsnips,red beet,carrots ,courgettes,cucumber,non are planted yet .Will be in full swing next week ,hopefully.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

)t' Thanks Bill! There's hope for me yet!