bluetit doing its thing

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
kitla
Legendary Laner

bluetit doing its thing

Post by kitla »

This dear little fella was working really hard this morning, trying to pull some fluff
of this tennis ball! It was trying for so long I managed to fetch the camera before it
flew off!
It's nesting in one of our birdboxes. After seeing this I gave the dog a quick grooming
and put out a handful of fur for it!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Re: bluetit doing its thing

Post by wendy »

I always have two use a nest box on the house.
Dave us moulting so much, I am sure the nest will be really comfy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Who would have thought a tennis ball would come into play with a Bluetit.

What a clever little bird, or maybe not, taking into account the time and energy used. LOL
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

He must like what he got from it, he was at it again this morning!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

He was on that ball for ages again this morning so I took some more pics of him/her
It worked really hard to gather all this
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Did it take the dog's fur though? Perhaps he likes a yellow nest.

Amazing isn't it? I was chopping down ivy on the fences yesterday and had a little robin following me closely. When we finished (glass of wine!) the robin and his mate came and sat on the garden bench to watch us. The girls scared them off in the end but it looks like they're nesting in the ivy somewhere.

I wondered if the birds would take cat fur, as Jasper is moulting a bit, but that might be a bit too much to have cat fur in your nest!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We have a pair of goldfinches, I've been wondering what kind of bird I kept hearing, then I saw it singing. They have very pretty nests, I found one in a plum tree years ago, must have been near fledging, as all the babies tumbled out when they saw me.

And I saw a chaffinch carrying building material too.

Not sure I'm so keen on the sparrows that have found the places where the mortar has fallen out between the roof tiles and the barge board. Should have seen to it last year - but couldn't because it was sparrows that made us notice it. And it's too late now. Must remember later (however will I get that heavy ladder up there?) I do like to hear them, though.

Not sure which is the bigger thrill - the common garden birds or the more uncommon. Went for a walk last weekend up Halkyn mountain, my daughter's partner was pointing out all the birds. Saw a raven (well that's what he said - it was certainly some sort of crow), an Osprey (well yes, it was very big and had white on it) and some Wheatears (they are pretty, but we weren't very near - but once he'd seen them I could agree on that one). My daughter is not impressed when he comments about some 'little brown bird', even if it is rare. And I see her point.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Lovely pictures kitla.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bluey was back again this morning so Toffee generously donated another handful
of dog fur to put by the tennis balls, it wasn't long before Blue came back & stuck
his face in it
Again and again
Then took it back to the now cosy shack, I saw it going in but was too quick for my
camera
I would think its ready for the eggs now, with luck I may get a shot of the babies
in a few weeks!
--Immanuel Kant
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

What lovely pictures and how lovely to be able to watch their springtime adventure!

I'm really hoping we have some visitors next year but I'm sure all the local cats put them off :(
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Juilly now is the time to plant a bushy/ tree or shrub that the birds can hide in
and the cat's cant reach! My weeping pear is always full of little birds & next door's holly tree is a popular nesting spot.
As I type the little bluetit is back on that tennis ball having cleared another ball of
dog hair already. Goodness me that nest is going to be soooo fluffy & warm, I
wonder if he's expecting some arctic weather before spring is done!
--Immanuel Kant
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

What lovely photos Kitla and what a clever little bird. Maybe we will see pics of the young when the time is right. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

This is very sad. I like to give any nestboxes that've been used a quick cleanout
& light dusting of DE at the end of the summer. I took this little box down & found
inside a lovely mossy nest, an unhatched tiny egg, and two little dead fledgelings.
The parents were really active, then I stopped seeing them so presumed I'd missed
them fledging. I wonder what happened? the babies looked fully feathered.
We dont see many bluetits anymore so this made me quite sad.
--Immanuel Kant