Planting out in unheated greenhouses

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
PK
Lively Laner

Planting out in unheated greenhouses

Post by PK »

I am quite often surprised how early some people sow tomatoes, peppers and the like. Sometimes as early as January and February. This might be okay if you have a heated greenhouse - something I have never stretched to. I tend to leave my main I sowings until the end of March otherwise I end up with leggy plants. All my 'greenhouse crops' are in a conservatory window ledge at the moment and doing well. This morning we had another quite hard frost so it is clearly still too soon to put them in the greenhouse. I don't have experience of poly tunnels so am not sure if this would be any different. What are the usual timings others use for sowing and planting out tender crops?
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Planting out in unheated greenhouses

Post by billnorfolk »

Some do get a little over enthusiastic when it comes to sowing times ,but sometimes you can be lucky and they will be ok .I sow my tomatoes around the 1st or second week in march ,and around 2 weeks later into bigger pots ,if you read my diary will show you how to get over leggy tomato plants ,never a problem .Today repotted into there final pots they have been in an unheated greenhouse for around 3 weeks now .Have also sowed cucumber and courgette today ,they will remain indoors until germinated then go out into greenhouse ,sweetcorn will be chatted next week and potted up to go into greenhouse .Hear in coastal Norfolk we had a minimum temp of 6.5 last night ,not really cold enough to hurt anything ,if you close your greenhouse early and let it build up heat will keep plants safe through most of the night and newspaper or fleece if frost is forecast over tender seedlings will normally see them ok.Bale of straw has been my saviour this winter .
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014