Eeeck - we have babies (we think!!)

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
juilly
Lively Laner

Eeeck - we have babies (we think!!)

Post by juilly »

So for anyone that has been following our little story we have been renovating our new house and we slept over for the very first time Saturday night!

In the morning and throughout the day we kept hearing a really strange sound on our flat bedroom roof. I thought it was cats hunting birds at first because of the tweeting and bird sounding commotion, but the other half thought it was squirrels anyway we didn't give it too much thought.

Today I was pottering in the garden and happen to look up just in time to see a blackbird fly out of the roof through a little hole I hadn't even noticed. Back and forward she went bringing food back each time.

This leads me to believe... WE HAVE BABIES!!!!!

I've been following lots of the laners on the forum and on the fb page who have had babies in their gardens and have been insanely jealous and now I think we have our own!!

Very very happy!!

This is a pic of where they are living (couldn't get a pic of her coming in but and going to be starting at the hole until I get one!)

proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Eeeck - we have babies (we think!!)

Post by Mo »

I noticed last year that there were some gaps in the mortar under our roof tiles and meant to move a ladder and fill them (the ladder moving is not easy).
Too late now the sparrows have found them.
Must remember to do it when our babies have gone.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good for you Juilly )t' )t'

Share and share alike.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I hope your Blackbirds are successful in rearing their young, it sounds like they have found a safe place.

Each year Blackbirds nest in our conifers and the blooming Magpies pick off their babies one by one. You would think they would learn and nest somewhere safer, but they dont.
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

After hours of close observation it turns out that I'm rubbish birdwatcher or at least bird identifier!

It's not blackbirds but a nest of starlings!

Here she is - she's eating me out of mealworms!
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It took me a while to decode that photo (sun on computer screen is my excuse)
No it's not a crow on a flying saucer. Or a nest suspended in midair. :-D
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I love starlings, they're so funny. I have a window feeder but none of our birds will
eat from it, perhaps I shall now relocate it and try again!
The wildlife birdy site says it's a good idea to soak mealworms when they're feeding
young, they probably need the moisture. I wonder if the fledglings will be brought
to feed from your window feeder.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

LOL Kitla, me too. I kept looking and looking and couldnt see the glass.

I think Starlings are in short supply now, so lovely to see some that are successful. We have had no Starlings round here this last 8 plus years.
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

I've never used a window feeder before as I've never had any success with them but I thought I'd give it a go and it worked!!!

I really cant decide what stage this nest is at though. I was pretty confident that there were chicks when we first saw all the activity. Then I thought they were still building the nest and now I think the fledglings are flying the nest!

I spent ages watching them today and managed to get some pictures... I'll try and post them up for you to see

The one that was sitting on our gutter kept calling and squawking until the other one flew out.. then he dashed back into the nest!!

These birds are so funny!

{rofwl}
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

It seems early for fledglings, could it just be the 2 parents taking turns to sit
that you've seen? If there are babies there you will here them squawking when
they are fed.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant