Wild Garlic time !!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Wild Garlic time !!

Post by Richard »

They're growing pretty well in the small copse down the Lane.

Time for some nice flavour I think )t' )t'

[center]Image[/center]

Go get'em :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Re: Wild Garlic time !!

Post by p.penn »

My daughter has given me a jar of wild garlic and nettle pesto that she has made :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Lovely stuff. Haven't seen it growing wild here, have tried planting bulbs and seeds but am getting nowhere. I have serious envy of my sister who has a small wood in her garden teeming with the stuff.

However it is available in packs in the supermarkets here so I don't go without. It just doesn't have the gloss when commercially grown. Made lots of pesto and garlic butter to last the year and it's great mixed with other greens like chard and spinach. Yum. We even had it raw with lettuce at our Bulgarian neighbour's dinner.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Sara

Post by Sara »

Mmmm Ive noticed it around for a little while here now.. I love it )eat(
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I know where there is lots of wild garlic - just not sure what to do with it. Any ideas????
Michael
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

For preserving it I make pesto as I said above, with less oil, freezing it in lumps so that I can take enough out for one, like tonight. I use our own walnuts but you can use whatever nut suits. Chop it and add to bread, sauces, mix with spinach, as a stand alone wilted veg (if you dare!) in quiche, and I make a few pats of garlic butter and freeze in discs. Also good mixed with cream cheese, and this can be used to fill ravioli if you make your own pasta. Yum
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

..... Ooh there is a lot around us, is there a good recipe for the pesto I can beg, steal or borrow please? Thanks for this thread Richard, sounds lovely. Clucky x
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Recipe? Now you've got me! I don't tend to bother but do a basic mix of garlic, toasted walnuts (or almonds if I can get them) hard cheese and oil, but not a huge amount because that way you can use it for all sorts. You can use pine nuts, but it's not necessary as they are expensive.How much you use depends on what you have in. You can adjust it when you get it out. But freeze it on a flat tray in small spoonsful, that way if you only want a little you don't waste any....and double wrap, it's strong once processed! You can add lemon zest, more oil and salt and pepper for a quick pasta sauce, add to spinach or other greens, use in sauce for fish pie etc. Top fish or meat and bake. Mix with spinach, feta and nutmeg for pie. Wherever you want a hit of garlic really.
Shelliechicks
Learner Laner

Post by Shelliechicks »

nice! )like( )like(