I've botched up the introduction of a new girl!! HELP!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

I've botched up the introduction of a new girl!! HELP!!

Post by chaletgirl »

UGH!!!

Hubby bought me a lovely double laced Barnevelder and I only kept her separated...well hardly at all and now she's of course getting picked on by my three resident divas!! I know you're probably thinking what in the world was I thinking! Two things...

one: I saw a documentary about chickens and they just introduced a new chicken straight away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c06xOF4uQ8

second: I was worried that she wouldn't be completely safe in the run at night so I decided to let her out so she could go to bed in the coop which is much MUCH safer.

My worry now is not so much that she's getting bullied. What the divas are up to is not bad really. No blood's been drawn and there was hardly any pecking last night when they went to bed. Thing is the divas are in one huddle and my new girl (Honey) isn't even interested in going anywhere near them.

Poor thing!!

As I see it I've got a few options:

1) Leave well enough alone, because I think I've meddled enough. As long as the pecking isn't really aggressive.

2) Separate two chickens out and let her live with one for a couple of days. Maybe when I put them back together she'll have an ally.

3) Put her in the run alone for a couple of days and see if that helps the others to come to terms with the new addition.

Today is her third day with them and she's still alive and not harmed. I have put the divas in another area where they like to scratch up wood chippings etc. for a couple of hours today and yesterday. It was just so everyone could have a break from the drama but this might not have helped them learn to get along.

These aren't photos of Honey but they look just like her...thanks for any advice you can offer!

Image[/url]3508928156 by Delana Loevbak, on Flickr

Image500x1000px-LL-6a55423b_2012pullet by Delana Loevbak, on Flickr

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: I've botched up the introduction of a new girl!! HELP!!

Post by KarenE »

Hi

It doesn't sound too bad from what you've described. Maybe you're finding it more stressful than they are?? :-D

I'm not sure I'd go with your option 3, seems like the time for that has passed and you'd only be delaying the inevitable. If the bullying isn't too bad, I think I'd be tempted to just leave them to it, as they will sort themselves out eventually. As long as there's enough space for Honey to get away if she wants/needs to.

Maybe see how they progress over the next day or so and if needed, you could then go for option 2. There's no guarantee she'll get an ally or the ally will stay her ally when reintroduced!

The only other thing I'd suggest is cutting treats out until they are all settled in. I know many people advise them because they can distract the bullies, but I've found that treats bring out the worst in them.

I assume you have plenty of food and water places Honey can get to, as the others may be protective and chase her away? I'd suggest 1 more than the number of chickens you have, until they all calm down.

Good luck! )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

Thanks Karen! I just went out to check on them and the divas are snuggled up on the roost. Honey is in a nesting box. She's brave to go in with those three but I guess that's her way of holding her own.

She's pretty smart actually. She went to bed early the first night I had her. She just found her way into the coop and up on the roost on her own. She was probably hoping that it'd all be a bad dream in the morning :-D

She doesn't seem particularly interested in any food or meal worms even!! She's really into anything green and live insects. It could be that she's never seen grass before.

I try to spend some time around the coop everyday just so she can get used to me being there. She has pecked me but her heart wasn't in it really.

Next time I'll take two girls who know each other. I've read Barnevelders are quite docile so I'll just make sure she's not getting bullied too badly.

I actually wanted the rooster that was in with the hens as well but hubby put his foot down....for now anyway
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

She'll be fine I'm sure, it'll take time for her to properly integrate. You could split them off through the day like you said, put her with one of the more docile divas.

A cockerel would certainly sort out intros and fights! No messing around with any of that when you have a cockerel, by all accounts.

I wonder if she's not interested in food because the others are chasing her away? o maybe she just prefers green stuff likeyou said.

Keep an eye on her, and be patient! Introducing 1 to a flock isn't ideal but it sounds like it's going well so far )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Milzy241
Lively Laner

Post by Milzy241 »

Watching chucks sort the pecking order is very stressful for all but ive often thought its worse for us parents. Chickens are very tough and harmony will prevail soon enough. Ive found that chickens go into 'monging out mode' once in the coop at night and found they seem perfectly happy snuggled in with each other. I agree with cutting out treats, i find it causes squabbles. I think if there are a number of feeders and drinkers, and space to escape they all will be good soon enough :-D

Milzy
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I can't watch the youtube film, immediately put off by the casual chucking of chicks about }hairout{ really putting in girls straight away can work and then it also cant it totally depends on the character of the hens and of course the bottom hen will always be the worst offender to the newbie. However if Honey is eating and drinking and no blood has been drawn don't seperate her now, just do as you are and keep a close eye on things
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

Hi Sandy,

Yes I know what you mean. That particular scene did make me stop and consider how they get treated to supply our food chain. It's not fair the way they are processed as a commodity with no consideration for the fact that they are a living, breathing, thinking being. Still the video sheds light on this and the things I learned from it were extremely interesting.

Most of the video shows you life on a chicken rescue farm. It was the crazy subtitling that distracted me to begin with! I'm not sure what happened there. Was it someone trying to learn English or what?!?!?

Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not botching things up too terribly. I've been out to check on things first thing this morning and all is quiet. Honey is still on her own but the Divas are spread out a bit themselves this morning. They were moving around in a tight little scrum for the first day and a half or so.

I'm really looking forward to getting her out in the back run to scratch under the trees and in the wood shavings back there. I'm afraid to let her out right now since I know I can't easily get her back in. I might try letting them all stretch their legs this evening before bedtime. I just have to be able to keep an eye on all of them since they are not allowed in any of my flowerbeds now!

Everything is growing quite nicely >mmm<
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've found that when I introduce (say) 2 to 3, that they form 2 flocks for months, then gradually you notice a mixing. Though they may not be aggressive when they're pottering about they potter near their friends & not the others.

The worst for bringing out the worst was when we gave them an ants nest that we'd dug up. You could really tell who was top-hen. I'd hardly noticed before.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Double laced Barnevelders look like beautiful birds - such pretty plumage.

I know this is not the same thing, but when I put 3 new girls in a newly built run opposite the established one, the older girls did a lot of posturing - they could hear and see new hens and it put them into defence mode. It took at least 3-4 days before the racket gradually eased off - and that's not even a direct contact situation. So your new girl is not only being picked on to re-establish the pecking order but most likely the fact there is a stranger in the flock. The more time she spends with them, eventually they'll all get to know each other - the coop is probably the safest place to be especially at night as she'll become less a stranger.

>fi< fingers crossed all works out eventually
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

lancaschire lass...they are beautiful and they are supposed to be very good natured and good layers....not prone to being broody... Apparently the roosters have been known to help with the chicks!!! You should see the black n white ones....google images have loads of photos.

Thanks all! Yes...plenty of opportunities for food and water so all fine there. I put the divas in their little back 'yard' area today and left the gate open for Honey to explore if she wanted. She stayed put and up under some shrubs. I imagine a chicken alone feels vulnerable so this might be why she didn't roam. I've been moving calmly around the enclosure today and she actually comes out from under her cover when she sees me so I'm taking this as a good sign. I cluck and call to her and throw feed, oyster shells, mealworms etc to her. I just want her to get the idea that good things happen when I'm around. {hug} She seems to mind less that I'm there but of course it's early days and she doesn't want me to get too close.

They are all in together now and although there is a bit of clucking and running around they seem like they are getting bored with the game so lets just wait n see.

I know I must of sounded like a ninny but I'm glad I asked my questions and I'm certainly happy for the help and advice!

Thanks!!!!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You are not a ninny, heavens that is what down the lane should be about(well in the chicken section) no question is a silly question, not ever! So glad all is going well. Like I said every intro is different. I put 3 in with one established girl and she gave them all hell for ages. I rehomed a nasty bully who took very little time to integrate and immediately assumed bottom position. One survivor of a fox attack was rehomed with my loner hen for a few weeks only, Meeting the gang was easier for her with Betty on her side. Another rehomed girl was put with actual bottom hen(Beth was a not the usual bottom hen type) I still couldn;t get her to stop being terrified of the others so got 3 point of lay girls and out in with her. She became their boss, grew in confidence and was fine when all out together. Of course there are times when you think harmony will never happen, took ages, a lot of water chucking and on hands bowing to their seniors when I mixed my four ex free rangers.
Will be doing more intros in June and I have no idea how that will turn out yet!
Would now like to see piccies of your ladies please +f+
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We put two youngish girls in with our two oldies for short periods in a fenced off area outside the coop. Shocking behaviour on the part of the oldies. Therefore we fenced off half the run, OH made a small hut for bedtime, and for around six to seven weeks they eyed each other up through the chicken wire. One of the young birds was dreadfully stressed, and I often wonder if that was why she never laid. After the long separation was over, they were fine, and the separating fence was removed, plus the small hut. The timid girl always had to be picked up and put into the hut at night.

Best of luck with your girl.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, You have my bloomers .The legs look like frilling girls underwear from yers past.
My girl is/ was never a mixer . Queen of the coop. beatiful girl and colours. She was /is atreat as the other girls and boys are rescue s and brown (except the boys ) with some hint of breeds silver lace and dark top necks .
I think watching new girls should be left to un attached person ( Husband ) as not emotional as us types. They all sort them selves out in the end.Thats chickens for you.
Bob
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

Hey all! Thanks so much for the posts, support and advice.

Bob...my husband really likes looking after the girls but you're right....he's much more practical about things that I get worked up about (this goes for things other than the chickens :-D )

I've decided to post more about Honey and the girls in my diary now that the introduction period has past.

http://www.downthelane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=50805&p=742428#p742428