Any seller recommendations for mail order fruit tree?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Any seller recommendations for mail order fruit tree?

Post by HenPen »

Hi - I am just looking into buying a Jubilee Plum Tree for my aunt, who lives near Bath (I live over 4 hours away so can't deliver it). A very old plum tree of hers has recently died and I would like to replace it as a birthday gift, and I have a Jubilee myself and I think the plums are stunning and very like the fruit from her unnamed plum tree.

I notice most of the nurseries will only deliver in the autumn to spring, which is fine, but does anyone have any recommendations/any experience of buying fruit tees online, as I would really like to go with a supplier who comes highly recommended!
Thanks
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Any seller recommendations for mail order fruit tree?

Post by KarenE »

I've never ordered fruit trees online so haven't got any personal recommendations. Are there any garden centres or nurseries near your aunt who would deliver? Might be worth a look. I think you may have missed the window for ordering online though, they do end to send out bare root stock and of course that's growing now so not the best time for shipping I suppose.

Like I said, I can't recommend these people but they do seem to do an August delivery as it's pot delivered rather than bare roots?

http://www.trees-online.co.uk/Jubilee-Plum-Tree.html

Looks like these might also deliver but worth checking it's not a bare root stock first:

http://www.fruittreesdirect.co.uk/all-f ... -tree-p251
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Any seller recommendations for mail order fruit tree?

Post by HenPen »

Hi Karen, thanks for looking into those for me {hug} You're always so kind. I like the look of the trees-online one and I will have a look at local nurseries too.

I have found a few suppliers online that looked good but I can't seem to find independent reviews, so I felt I would be winging it a bit - which got me wondering what DTL folks thought of online tree buying really.

I am quite happy to wait for the tree to be delivered - lots of them you order now and they are delivered at the optimum time and that seems sensible really. I can just let her know it's in the pipeline!