Started chutney making

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Started chutney making

Post by albertajune »

On taking the last jar of last years chutney from the store cupboard, I thought I must make more.

After not eating it for some years, OH bought mustard pickle from the supermarket. It looks so gloopy that I made this my first make. Made 4 jars which looks very good. When shopping at Liddies I saw that they had lovely aubergines on special for I think either 39 or 49p each so bought 3 of those. Made 4 good sized jars of spicy aubergine and garlic chutney. This one contained chilli also so has a bit of bite. Just have to wait a couple of weeks before eating but am tempted now.

Feeling very satisfied with myself. :-D
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Started chutney making

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Sounds yummy.
Hopefully we'll have a good crop of aubergines this year so I can make a batch >fi<
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We've never grown aubergines. Your chutney sounds different and tasty, June.

We make ours at the back end, apples, tomatoes and courgettes normally.

OH doesn't like garlic, which is a shame.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Sounds yummy.
Hopefully we'll have a good crop of aubergines this year so I can make a batch >fi<
Dom

I've never been successful at growing them. Do you grow yours in a greenhouse, which I did, and what's your secret for a good crop? I do hate something to beat me.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

I grew the striped cream and purple ones successfully one year when we still lived in N Wales. I had a couple in the greenhouse and the rest outside on the drive. The outside ones were healthier plants and we had loads of fruit. I'm not that keen it was just something different to try. It must have been a good summer and pollination will be better outside. If you have a summer like last year you should be OK growing them outside.

Over here they are standard outside veg, the biggest problem not being weather, but Colorado beetle which switch to the aubergines when the taters are done!

Thinly sliced, battered and deep fried are nice or char grilled whole till really soft, flesh mashed with oil, plenty of garlic and salt and pepper for a dip. Other than that, I wouldn't bother (OH likes moussaka)
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/