The purchased Chicken 'Killer Bug'

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

The purchased Chicken 'Killer Bug'

Post by Richard »

I'm sure everyone has seen the news this week, three quarters of Chickens sold have the potentially lethal Campylobacter.

I'm wondering if anyone has....

1. Had food poisoning after eating a Chicken

2. Are now more guarded about it.

3. Would consider raising their own Chickens for meat.

My parents and grandparents kept Chickens for food, a left over of WW2 I guess.
Now it doesn't seem to be the done thing and after all, Supermarket Chickens can be very cheap if not free-range.

I wonder if they tested free range up against Barn Broilers?

Any views?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: The purchased Chicken 'Killer Bug'

Post by Totally Scrambled »

It seems to me that it's like the scare story of eggs having salmonella.
If you cook the food properly you kill the nasties, proving you don't wait until the food has gone off before doing it.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I agree with Dom )t' If chicken is frozen, defrost thoroughly, cook within a couple of days of buying if fresh, keep refrigerated until cooked, cook as directed until no pink near the bone and get those left overs in the fridge as soon as cooled down.
I don't cook chicken on the barbeque as the outside can be well done when the inside is still undercooked.

As for keeping chickens for their meat. I see nothing wrong with doing this but I couldn't eat something that I had looked after and got to know.

OH tells me of the time during the war years, that his mum had one of their 3 rabbits killed for dinner and no one could eat it, so what a waste of it's life.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Sara

Post by Sara »

I would definitly love to raise my own meat, be it chicken , lamb, pork or even a cow.... I do think its becoming more and more important nowadays to know the origin of what we eat, especially meat.

I geuss buying directly from the producer is the next best thing from rearing the meat yourself.... )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

albertajune wrote: OH tells me of the time during the war years, that his mum had one of their 3 rabbits killed for dinner and no one could eat it, so what a waste of it's life.

My Mum said that they bred rabbits during the war but nobody ate their own. They'd take one to the butcher and come away with a prepared rabbit or chicken bred by somebody else.
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Slightly )ot: but Ali's dad says that he had never eaten as well in his life until he joined up in 1940. He came from a very deprived area and he was malnourished, which was not uncommon at the time, so the Forces had special feeding up camps to build the recruits up so that thay were strong enough to take basic training.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
wendy

Post by wendy »

My Dad also kept chickens during and for many years after the War.
I loved them then, but we were never told that we were eating one of 'our' chickens.
I personally couldn't eat one of my own. But do not have any issues with others doing it.
If an animal has had a good life and is humanely killed.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

Interesting. I read the British people were at their healthiest during WW2 years - rationing prevented many things and we were forced into eating more natural foods, especially home grown.

My point about these chickens is there must be something wrong in the system for them to be contaminated so much in such huge numbers.

Guess we never really know what we're eating unless it comes from our back garden, animals, birds or Vegetables.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Very true, Richard
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Absolutely Richard.
You cannot factory farm and not have health issues.

Richard

Post by Richard »

The sad news is it had about fourth place in the News for one day then nothing since.

Just another factory food story !!!!!!! {mr.angry}

Richard
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I have had campylobacter before and it is not nice; I was on HMS Fearless at the time and spent three days at sea on a drip. And experience I do not wish to repeat (the sickness and not the ship and drip thing… that wasn’t that bad at all).
The truth of the matter is that unless we do something to stop the human population of the planet from expanding like it is then we can expect to have more intense farming methods become the norm. In the wealthy West we have become detached from where our food comes from, we anthropomorphise animals as well which forces the food industry to hide the reality of food production lest it upsets our sensibilities. Frozen chicken is less likely to poison you because the bug that causes campylobacter doesn’t survive freezing very well, but you are not likely to get free range poultry from the freezer compartment.
Bah Humbug
manda

Post by manda »

I've never had food poisoning from chicken (thankfully) - I had a friend did and it was awful watching her feel so sick.

I'm always very careful with chicken ...I have a friend in the UK who won't eat them because he says they are filthy animals...not quite sure how that works >coc<

We haven't raised our own chickens for the table (it's actually cheaper for me to buy free range chicken here than to raise our own....we'd like to in the future though).

We do raise everything else meat wise....beef, pork and lamb and what we don't raise, as many here already know, my hubby hunts and fishes, so we have venison and other things like Salmon and Trout as well as sea fish (mainly elephant fish and Hoki) and eels which are abundant in the water races around us. We have friends who dive and so we trade for things like Crayfish and Paua.

saint-spoon wrote:...... In the wealthy West we have become detached from where our food comes from, we anthropomorphise animals as well which forces the food industry to hide the reality of food production lest it upsets our sensibilities. ......

We've had many friends critical of us raising our own meat (usually when they're sat eating it!)...that they don't know how we can grow our own meat because they couldn't eat something they knew and often we get the whole "la la la I don't want to hear it" approach.
I can accept criticism from anyone who is vegetarian / vegan because at least they don't eat meat -I'm not going to change my lifestyle but I respect their arguments.... but from friends who are carnivores I find it unacceptable. Don't get me wrong I don't expect people to be out hunting and killing or butchering their own meat on the dining table (Oh yes we do!), I don't expect them to be comfortable about it but I don't accept criticism because to me that's is the height or hypocrisy.

I firmly believe that it's exactly for the reason you describe above SS, that people have become detached from where their food comes from. It's exactly why people don't care about where their food comes from as long as it arrives when they want it. I know there are many who do care but the evidence is there to support there are many who don't because the supermarkets and factory farming's existence are supported by it....people can tut tut but as long as they support it it will exist end of....the reason it exists ends with the customers and they are the only ones who can change it because lets face it it's very evident that goverments, supermarkets and producers aren't going to.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like(

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

well said Manda. )like(
Bah Humbug