Responsible cutting down of Trees

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Responsible cutting down of Trees

Post by Richard »

This annoys me intensely. Refers to Gardens as well of course.

Tree Surgeons cut down two trees, clear up their mess but 'leave' (slightly hidden) two birds nests, one with broken shells.

[center]Image[/center]

Under the Countryside Act, should a person, be it the property owner or tree surgeon, come accross a nest being used they should stop work and wait for it to be OK.

Nesting varies a lot but mainly April - August, some birds though will nest the whole year round.

So these Tree Surgeons obviously saw the two nests, chucked them down and almost hid them from view.

This really gets my back up.
Little wonder so many bird species are on a fast track to extinction. I think one of the above nests belonged to the Goldfinches, haven't seen them since and they were the first pair down the Lane for years.

More information on the law is here.. http://www.ecotreecare.co.uk/wildlife-conservation.htm

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Re: Responsible cutting down of Trees

Post by saint-spoon »

It’s a difficult one Buddy, but it seems that the modern way of life has put stuff that grows secondary to ease of maintenance and folk are very much less aware of the impact that their actions have.
Bah Humbug
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I don't think they're allowed to do that unless they have a special licence.
Have a look through this
http://www.trees.org.uk/Help-for-Arbori ... ting-birds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
& this
http://www.rspb.org.uk/forprofessionals ... ences.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I remember a petition I signed last year against Natural England wanting to change
the laws re licences to kill wildbirds. I couldn't find an update on it but stumbled
across the above info while looking. I expect they flout the law because they think
no one cares.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you kitla.

I also believe it's a case of yet another 'soft' law which no one really bothers about.
No disrespect to the Police, but I doubt if it would be a top priority call out (no offence Dom).

Or as said, no one bothers anyway. A Customer probably doesn't know the law and the Tree Surgeon either doesn't as well or just gets on and does the job.

One of those 'wouldn't it e nice' things.

Then of course you come to clearing an area to build houses !!!!!!!

(I should have said Wildlife and Countryside Act)

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

No I don't suppose the police would act on that sort of thing, but the RSPB may do
especially if they keep getting complaints about the same company.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Richard

Post by Richard »

True.

I've just this second messaged Springwatch to ask if they could raise this point on one of their shows.

Don't know if they will, but should they, listen out for 'sent by Richard in Ashford Kent)

To me it's another reason for diminishing numbers.

)t' )t'