Which Strimmer?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Which Strimmer?

Post by Spreckly »

Our rather awkward strimmer died on me at the weekend. It was difficult to use under hedges, and we are now looking for one which is easier to use. I realise trade names are not normally used on here, but if anyone has any advice, please could they pm me.

We normally strim once a year under the hedges once the daffs have died off, and more frequently at the bottom of our garden, which grown nettles and grass very successfully.

Also, we're not looking to spend a lot! We are going to bee and kew on Friday to look at different models. One of the review websites is quite scathing about a make which we thought would be what we are looking for.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Which Strimmer?

Post by Mo »

Don't see why we shouldn't mention names.
Though I know little about grass cutting equipment except it scares me ( almost as much as the raye the nettles & grass grows)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Sprekkers,
Do you have a preference for power source, Petrol, electric with a cable or cordless
When you say you don't want to break the bank what limit are you looking at?
Sometimes going a little higher saves money in the long run.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I know it's not high tech but I use my swiffer a lot for nettles, thistles,docks, long grass etc.
It is light easy to use with no running costs and cost £16. I
often take it with me when wandering round the garden and slash at stuff as I go along a little and often makes it even easier.
Just a thought as an alternative.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks folks.

We have no preference between electric and petrol. The one which has conked out was electric. I have never heard of a swiffer. We do have a sickle, as a last resort.

Don't want to go over fifty pounds. Two weeks since we had to cough up for a new fridge!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Had a look at the swiffer online, but we have too much grass for it to be effective. However, OH, behind my back, ordered a Bl...k and D.....er which arrived on Thursday. Not tried it out yet.

Gutted, our neighbour with the wilderness garden has bought a petrol strimmer. Son was out there hacking at the jungle for an hour yesterday afternoon, though it would need a good month of constant sorting to make anything of the place. Their excuse is that the birds are nesting. Not in the back end or early months of the year!