Pork trotters anyone?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Annemieke
Lively Laner

Pork trotters anyone?

Post by Annemieke »

Yesterday a neighbour gave me: 8 pork trotters, 4 pig’s ears and a lot of belly fat. All frozen together in one big lump. I could only just fit it in our freezer.
I intend to make the trotters into stock to freeze in batches; cook the ears; and would like to make the fat into crackling and lovely dripping. It’s all more or less organic.
The trouble is, I have to defrost and deal with the whole lot in one go. And I would have preferred just one pig’s worth, instead of two! I’ve offered half on Streetbank (http://www.streetbank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and freecycle, but I don’t expect many reactions.
Has anyone got suggestions?
Do you live near here (Ilminster) and want half of it?
Can I freeze crackling, or will it keep a long time as it is?
Will it help if you add salt to the crackling?
Thanks! Love AW.
Love, Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset, UK http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Re: Pork trotters anyone?

Post by saint-spoon »

I would imagine that the crackling will go soggy in the freezer.
Bah Humbug
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I'm sure I've read somewhere that to make crackling, the skin can be par boiled, cut into strips and deep fried. I haven't tried it but this way would enable you to cook and refreeze before the final fry or roast.
When my son cooks pork, to make his crackling on a joint, he pours boiling water over the skin first before roasting, so what I think I've read could be right. If you can free a bit of skin up it might be worth trying. It works brilliantly with chicken skin.
Good luck anyway )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
manda

Post by manda »

You could do them this way

Put the pigs trotters in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes or more depending on the size.

You will know when they are ready when the meat starts to fall away from the bone when you prod them. When they are ready, take them out of the water and place them on a baking tray.

At this point, heat the oven to 180°c....or you could let them cool and freeze them individually and then you can always carry on from this step when you want to eat them.
If you've frozen them then at this point go on to defrost them and....

Score the skin on the meat and pour on the honey to coat the trotters, then sprinkle brown sugar over them. Adjust the amount of honey and sugar according to taste.

Leave to set and put more honey on top before putting them in the oven.

Cook at 180°c for 15 minutes or until they are crisp and brown.

This way you've cooked them before you refreeze which is OK to do.

You can do the same with the ears....they'll take less time obviously...and then treat them the same.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Annemieke
Lively Laner

Post by Annemieke »

Thanks for all the tips! For the moment they're safe in the freezer, but when I've got time I shall try them out.
Love, Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset, UK http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Or you could do potted pork. I don't have a good recipe, I'm afraid, but it's like a cross between pulled pork and a coarse pate which you optionally flavour with herbs and spices to taste then put in a dish and pour a thick layer of melted butter over. The butter sets and forms a seal to keep the meat from going off (maybe the pork fat could be used? I'm not sure) and it can be kept for several weeks - especially in a sealed container in the fridge.