Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Post by sandy »

Happy new year Bridget's flock :-D Whats the metal climbing frame in the next field?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Gosh, long time no post.
Sandy - I use the climbing frame support beans, fat babies and squash. A tiny bit of wire around it is, quite amazingly, enough to keep the chickens off, although Florence has recently developed a liking for the tiny gooseberries just appearing so maybe this year they will be more adventurous in their foraging.
All is well in chicken world. Portia has just celebrated 2 years out of her cage and was given a chicken swing to celebrate. Quite naturally she has totally ignored it and prefers to spend her days bossing me around in the kitchen.
Not a chicken in sight - all far too busy to bother with a ridiculous swing hanging forlornly alone. Having looked at youtube videos of chickens using their swing it seems always to be the case that the swing is the only perch in the run. Ah well, I tried!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Golly Bridget I think I asked my question on my birthday {rofwl} Congrats to Portia, a great milestone for her )like( You dont honestly think the girls are going to use the swing when their mum is watching do you? I expect they are like the skating pandas in the chocolate ad +f+
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

You dont honestly think the girls are going to use the swing when their mum is watching do you? I expect they are like the skating pandas in the chocolate ad +f+

Sandy, you are hilarious! {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

I feel much better now I know I haven't wasted my money!
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Beautiful Portia who spends more time in the human house than the hen house
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bridget's mum, I see Portia has a phone and some writing implements available. Are you insane? Think of the damage she could do :-D

Her eye is full of mischief - I think she must be an incredibly naughty henpal.

Indelicate question though - doesn't she poo a lot inside the house?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Portia also seems to have a bus timetable yike*

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

I have total confidence that Portia is a very responsible chicken and uses all the communication systems available to her wisely. Mostly she arranges her own timetable and only today was umpiring at an international croquet game.

And of course she would never dream of pooing in the house. +pinn+
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

KarenE wrote:Bridget's mum, I see Portia has a phone and some writing implements available. Are you insane? Think of the damage she could do :-D

She just takes messages for us Karen
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

sandy wrote:Portia also seems to have a bus timetable yike*

Well yes, but she always lets me know where she is going and what time she will be home.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lovely photos )like( Croquet, whoa how posh, very fitting for a girl with Portia's name {rofwl}

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Not bumblefoot - phew!
Earlier in the week I was horrified to see Florence limping along on a nasty swelling on the bottom of her foot, barely able to put any weight on that side at all. Closer inspection revealed what I thought was bumblefoot - a round, tight swelling with a small calloused area. I made an appointment with the vet for the next morning and rushed into the surgery with my surprisingly serene 'chicken in a basket'. The vet lifted her out and asked what was wrong. I pointed out the huge swelling on her foot, er maybe it was the other foot. Oh, swelling virtually gone (although the calloused bit was still evident) and the chicken was strutting happily around the surgery. Perhaps I should have checked again that morning! She ended up being prescribed a manuka honey foot rub twice a day for 5 days. She seems to be enjoying it and it smells lovely.
Here she is (the black rock) eyeing up the red ball.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Portia seems to be a very self sufficient and responsible girl. I see she has even taken the official ball checking chicken with her on umpiring duties )t'

Good to hear Florence hasn't got bumblefoot it can be a real nuisance and prone to re-occurance. Perhaps she stood on a stone or a snail shell or something and injured her foot? Honey rubs sound interesting, I bet she is loving her pedicures!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

KarenE wrote:Portia seems to be a very self sufficient and responsible girl. I see she has even taken the official ball checking chicken with her on umpiring duties )t'

Well Karen, I hadn't realised it but you are quite right. That official ball checking chicken is in fact the absolutely everything checking chicken. I shall have to get her a clipboard!
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

New chicken, New chicken
How is it that getting a new chicken is so exciting? )app(
A lady contacted me on our village website to say that she was looking for a home for her last chicken. She originally had three but as time took its toll she was left with only one and could see that she was lonely. The lovely lady gave her a mirror (which the chicken used to go to) but all was obviously not well.
So........ Dovahkiin moved in a couple of days ago. She is a Black Rock and easily twice the size of my other two Black Rocks. At the moment she is still in her own little coop and run within the big run but is free ranging during the day with the rest of the flock, some of whom are lovely with her, and some of whom are not! Fingers crossed that they all settle down quickly. Dovahkiin isn't angling for any top spot so hopefully it won't take too long. At least she has a friend in the little bantam who was also a 'lonely only' before she moved in with us.