Helen's Hentastic Adventure!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
juilly
Lively Laner

Helen's Hentastic Adventure!

Post by juilly »

Its finally happening!

We are picking up two girls on Sunday for another lanner, they are two (very pretty) cream legbars - names still to be decided.

Lots still to do in preparation for their arrival and still feel like there is lots that I don't know but I'm sure we'll figure it all out as we go!

>ch<
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Helen's Hentastic Adventure!

Post by KarenE »

Do you mean you're picking them up from another Laner? Cream legbars are very nice chickens )t'

If you've got any questions, just ask away - we're all here to help. And keep updating your diary - we love to read about chicken adventures!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You know we want pics asap. And I expect another diary section will be after the names too {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
juilly
Lively Laner

Re: Simon's & Helen's Hentastic Adventure!

Post by juilly »

Well today was the day that I officially became a crazy chicken lady!

We picked up our beautiful two girls from a fellow laner who was unable to keep them at lunchtime and they have been making us grin since they came home.

Please say hello to Dolly and Molly chilling in their new house!!

This is Molly

and this is also Molly - Dolly was having cuddles with Granny! :)

(please excuse the mess- we are still in the midsts of decorating)

We got them home and I must admit had a lovely time having some cuddle time (whist buying their love with corn on the cob!)

We put together the coop and they seemed to settle straight in. They are obsessed with snails… they LOVE them, heaven help any snail that craws across their path!

I've put water and a few handfuls of layers pellets and some mixed grit. We are going to help guide them into the coop tonight and make sure they get settled before introducing them to their two new sisters who we are picking up tomorrow morning.
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

I'm so proud of my two little ladies. They took themselves off to bed tonight all by themselves. No drama! Now we just await an egg :-)
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Great pics, they are beautiful girls.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

It looks as if you are well and truly hooked! Enjoy your girls.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

After being so good last night we went out this morning and when we got back we had a lovely surprise…

(photos to follow... silly photobucket not working!!)

They are just so so funny, we let them out to free range and they had a great time, they were not so impressed with having to go back… they had a right old whinge! We also introduced there to their new friends.

Please say hello to Hetty and Betty (oh and Holly jumped into the box as we were taking them home) oopssss!!

(photos to follow... silly photobucket not working!!)
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

Our morning present

Our new girls

All our girls together, I love them lots :)

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I see they've got you well trained already with the sweetcorn )t' They will have you wrapped round their little claws in no time

Lovely girls. Who s ho f the newest newbies? And do you know their breeds? One looks lik a light Sussex? And of course the leghorns, who look so much like our own Wiggy Woo (well, Henpen's Wiggy anyway)

You will love having them! And they will love having your garden... Enjoy them, they're great )t'
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

We have Dolly and Molly, we got these yesterday, 2 cream legbars, then we have Holly who is a light sussex and then Hetty and Betty who are a pair of H&N Nicks. The last three we picked up today and they are about 17 weeks old. The other two hatched last April.

They are a little too spoilt I think. They have had so much sweetcorn in the last two days I'm expecting their eggs to resemble an orange sunset!! They had some banana and cabbage too this afternoon. They loved the banana and are getting used to the cabbage! :)
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

today has been eventful and to be honest I'm feeling pretty poo today.

The mixing of the chickens is going ok I guess. Molly however has become a rather evil chicken.. she keeps trying to attack me and this morning mugged my sandwich from out of my hands, she walks around puffing herself up and is generally just a bit full of herself.

The main event of today though was realising that one of the new girls Hetty can fly. Not just hop and jump but FLY. I found this out when Molly scared her and she flew up about 15ft and then couldn't get down. I picked her up and was having a little cuddle when Molly decided to start off again, scaring Hetty resulting in her gouging my chest with some lovely sharp claws. Now I have three bleeding wounds down my front and a chicken that wants to eat me (and my sandwiches!!) and now is refusing to lay an egg despite being in the nest for ages!!!

Ah well maybe tomorrow will be better :)
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lovely photos of lovely girls, naughty Molly, cannot believe such behaviour of a Wiggy of Wigglesworth breed!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , You made me laugh . When I first got my girls I got leather gloves (welders ) as they had such evil claws and can actually hurt you. Now they are quite happy ( well most of them to stand and just grip and not hurt . Those that are not just do not come near enough to hold . Thank you for making me laugh . a good start to a night shift.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Water pistol day tomorrow. And the main lesson from today - NEVER approach chickens with any food in your hand (or on a plate) as they will have it right out of your hand. :-D They are raptors when it comes to food, and we've all made that mistake!

Molly will calm down, there are plenty of stories on here about evil hens who become lovely within a week, once the pecking order is sorted.

Sorry you're not feeling too great. Honestly, intros is one of the most stressful times in chicken keeping though. In a week or so you'll wonder wha all the fuss was about
Karen