What's all this stuff on my tree?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
juilly
Lively Laner

What's all this stuff on my tree?

Post by juilly »

Hi all,

Wondered if any of you knew what all this stuff was all over my tree?

It looks like big patches of spiders webs with tiny black dots all over it and the trunk and branches look like they are going mouldy. I love this little tree so want to keep it in good health.

Ideas anyone?
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: What's all this stuff on my tree?

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Any idea what species of tree it is?
If you know you could look on the Forestry Commission website at the tree disease and pest section which might give you an idea.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm betting the webs are from some kind of caterpillar, the black dots could be
poop & those leaves look nibbled
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

I think its a crab apple tree, not 100% though.

I'll try and get rid of webby things and might try something on the trunk
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

could it be woolly aphid? Have a look at the RHS apple tree pest and disease guide
manda

Post by manda »

You have two things going on ...
- Fall webworm maybe ..but you won't know until the caterpillars emerge. Once they appear you will be able to identify what it is more easily because there are other things it could be (bag worm being one).
- and possibly some sort of disease lifting the bark

My husband (who is an arborist who trained in the UK but we're in NZ so not much use to you) said contact a reputable arborist ...they won't charge you to look at it. His personal opinion - get someone to come and do an on site assessment because they'll be able to advise you better....it's not just about look they'll be able to have a good prod about and feel the tree too.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

Thanks Manda, I'll give a few people a call, failing that the world is getting smaller - you could always pop by for a visit!!!!! +f+
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Manda, since you are an expert, can you tell me about the stuff on my tree too.

It's a crab apple - taller than the garage. Last winter Jim took out all the little side shoots, so now there is a clean stem of 8' or more. Except it's not clean - it has a whiteish/grey sticky stuff on all little bobbles where there were side shoots. Looks fluffy from a distance.

Sorry, no photo - I've not owned a camera for over 50 years.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

I'm not the expert hubby is )grin2(

Husband says ..need photo's but the better option is get someone to come and have a look.They will be able to have a good look and advise you. He hates looking at photo's and not being able to get up close and look and feel the tree because there are so many things it could be and even one small thing could change the advice given.
There's bound to be a qualified arborist near to you and really they will advise you for nothing and you're under no obligation to them.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:It's a crab apple - taller than the garage. Last winter Jim took out all the little side shoots, so now there is a clean stem of 8' or more. Except it's not clean - it has a whiteish/grey sticky stuff on all little bobbles where there were side shoots. Looks fluffy from a distance.

from the BBC gardening advice on woolly aphids

Long white, or occasionally blue-grey, waxy residues which look like cotton wool appear on the bark and branches especially around old pruning wounds. There may also be droplets of sticky, sugary honeydew on the bark which may become infected with black sooty mould. Cankers may also be present on aphid infested areas

This google link should show images of woolly aphid ...
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah yes, Some of those pictures (no.25 in particular) are just like it.
So I've got to
Scrub areas within easy reach with a brush and a bucket of soapy water.
and encourage ladybird. OK, thanks.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Spider mite? No expert at all, just throwing it out there as a friend has recently had a problem with them which looks similar.
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Mo wrote:Manda, since you are an expert, can you tell me about the stuff on my tree too.

It's a crab apple - taller than the garage. Last winter Jim took out all the little side shoots, so now there is a clean stem of 8' or more. Except it's not clean - it has a whiteish/grey sticky stuff on all little bobbles where there were side shoots. Looks fluffy from a distance.

Mo
Your tree is likely suffering from Woolly Aphids, brushing on some meths over the wool will get rid of them.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.