First time cold framer

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Ayrshire Dave
Lively Laner

First time cold framer

Post by Ayrshire Dave »

Hi we have just acquired a small cold frame approx 3X2 ft looking for ideas of something that is simple and fairly quick to grow as we are looking to try it out as soon as possible, our gardening expertise is not great, tomatoes and potatoes are our usual crops, Thanks.
Dave
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: First time cold framer

Post by Totally Scrambled »

How much height do you have to play with?
I'm thinking lettuce.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hi Dave

Its getting to the time when you really don't need a cold frame ,most salad things will grow outside ok now ,but towards the end of sept pop a few lettuce plants in a grow bag and have fresh lettuce into the autumn , close top down early as nights get colder to preserve heat ,and watch out for slugs and snails. If you don't have a greenhouse can be used to start seedlings and harden plants off before planting out ,can get very hot inside on sunny days.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

billnorfolk wrote:Hi Dave

Its getting to the time when you really don't need a cold frame ,most salad things will grow outside ok now ,but towards the end of sept pop a few lettuce plants in a grow bag and have fresh lettuce into the autumn , close top down early as nights get colder to preserve heat ,and watch out for slugs and snails. If you don't have a greenhouse can be used to start seedlings and harden plants off before planting out ,can get very hot inside on sunny days.

)t' I'd go along with what Bill says - they really come into their own in early spring when you can start some seeds off as the cold frame acts like a mini greenhouse but beware that slugs and snails can crawl into them easily so be ready with whatever precautions you normally take (ie slug pellets or whatever). When hardening off, the idea is to partially lift the lid up so that wind and rain (and hail) doesn't damage tender seedlings, and gradually fully open up ... a lot depends on the weather too - if we get hot sunny days (it does happen occasionally in spring), then use your judgement. Later I take the lid off completely and use the outer frame to make a micro environment for growing semi-tender summer crops like cucumber in growbags