Metal Detecting

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
glennuk1
Learner Laner

Metal Detecting

Post by glennuk1 »

Hi all, Just thought I would elaborate on my metal detecting hobby. I have been metal detecting for 10 years or so and have many fields I can search on. Over the years I have found many exciting finds. From Gold coins (2000 years old), Saxon Brooch, silver coins, roman bits n bobs and much more, however this is by no way the usual finds. Most of the time its bits of modern trash, broken Georgian bronze buckles and buttons 200-300 years old. In those times farmers used to throw old garments on the land to rot as a fertiliser hence many button finds in the field.

Any finds I make I show the land owner and offer them to him/her as the item/s belong to them or if its valuable I usually get their permission to sell it and go 50/50 split. I usually sell any items of value because after the initial excitement of the find and research it would only end up in a box. Most of my finds are recorded by the finds liason officer and they are uploaded to their website for future research by others.

Its great to find Roman coins that have not been touched for 1800 years or so, in fact when ever I find an old item its great to be the first to handle it in many years.

I love to be out n about in the fields metal detecting and there is no better place to eat than under a tree in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nature.

If you own any land and fancy a go metal detecting on it then let me know and I will gladly bring a good spare detector and we can see what we can find. I don't mind travelling 100 miles or so to get there. I'm in Kettering area.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Metal Detecting

Post by Spreckly »

What finds Glen.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Spreckly wrote:What finds Glen.

Nothing.
He's a master of the art of camoflage.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
JohnnyGrumpus
Lively Laner

Post by JohnnyGrumpus »

Sounds like an interesting thing to do Glenn. I can't say that I know much about it other than watching the BBC comedy "The Dectectorists".

Although I did one sit on the jury on a Treasure Trove case. I remember that it was a find of some Celtic artefacts.

Barry
glennuk1
Learner Laner

Post by glennuk1 »

Well as to the question of what finds its things like bits of lead, lead artifacts like pilgrim badges, or lead spindle whorls, ampula ...erm I tried to avoid listing finds because most people would say "a wot", "erm", "eh?" etc etc so I tried to keep the list simple as in previous post. I thought finds covered it easily :-)

Any hoo, I suppose you could put me in the same group as train spotters. Look strangely at me and quietly shuffle side ways away.
manda

Post by manda »

I don't think it was a question Glen she was saying great finds ...and Dom was being funny (just smile and walk away {rofwl} )

I think it's a great way to pass your time....at least as you say you get to hold something that might have been lost for decades...or even centuries. When you look at some of the things that have been uncovered over the years it's something that could be a nice way to while away the hours or a way to make an absolute fortune ..or both which means win win for you.

As for anyone else thinking it's "different" well it is but then the world is made up of different...embrace it

We use a metal detector for finding arrows at the archery club...in the process though we've found all sorts of other stuff ...unfortunately nothing that could be considered interesting (old tent pegs and bits of machinery :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi. I used to make the headphones for a metal detecting company. I had all the bits in my living room, collected from the shop, and delivered them back completed. The best sellers were Predator. I learnt a lot about metal detecting while I was there, but never had a go. I wouldn't have the patience.
Ilona
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

)like( As someone who has always had a love of social history, I think it is a wonderful hobby. Aren't you lucky to know people who are happy for you to walk their fields.!!
We live just down the road from what was the old Roman town of Silchester and I feel elated if I dig up a bit of pot or tile in my garden.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.